Attached Files
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Reverse.

Is it a restrike? a repro?
    Attached Files
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Ramc

Hi Ralph, British Royal Army Medical Corps, WW2 era.

(it says it on the badge)

Looks OK to me and well worn.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Well awww riiiight, podner!

Then let's dance.

Royal Fusiliers:
        Attached Files
        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Arty Royale

Not World War One? OK. Thanks.
          Attached Files
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

No better place for these!

That I can think of.
            Attached Files
            -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Hi Ralph, all good badges.

Regarding the Royal Artillery badge, I don't know of any way to date these, as there is no difference between WW1 & WW2 examples that I am aware of ?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

The RAMC badges is the version worn c1902 = 1950, it was replaced by a bi-metal version wityh the scroll in white metal which was sealed 22/9/50.

The RF badge is the c1902 - c1952 version, also worn by 1st - 4th Bns of The London Regiment.

The RA badge is the pattern worn c1902 - c1952, there is an unvoided WWI brass economy, & there is a version with a seperately mounted (sometimes free spinning) wheel, a variation also found on the officers gilt & bronzed versions & also on the anodised versions, but not on the WWII plastic economy.

There are various legends about the spinning wheel versions of the Kings Crown RA badges, basically amounting to the fact that theye were issued pre WWI or pre WWII to regulars, & that the wearer was just identified as a regular, & that the version shown here was a kind of wartime economy, but I don't think so, I think that they were just manufactureres variations,'tho perhaps they were less common during the wars to save on metal etc.
                Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-24-2005, 04:02 PM.

Comment

The very first Royal Regiment of Artillery cap badge was issued with two lugs, then followed a long slider this was shortened by the end of WWI and continued throughout WW2 and after. The KC version was not changed until 1955 (not 1952) some were still being worn as late as 1967-1970. The soldiers version with the mounted wheel was a private purchase item from the Canteen. All the officers versions should have a mounted wheel including the beret badge of 1948.

Comment

Forgot to mention that when the scroll on the RAMC badge changed colour, it also changed from the name to the motto.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
                      The very first Royal Regiment of Artillery cap badge was issued with two lugs, then followed a long slider this was shortened by the end of WWI and continued throughout WW2 and after. The KC version was not changed until 1955 (not 1952) some were still being worn as late as 1967-1970. The soldiers version with the mounted wheel was a private purchase item from the Canteen. All the officers versions should have a mounted wheel including the beret badge of 1948.
                      Any references for this info please, so that I can add it to my "research" in the event that I don't have it noted? (I have'nt read up my notes re these badges as it's not easy to get to them).
                      Are the mounted wheel anodised versions private purchase? - according to RA men who I served with in the 70's they were issue.

Okay, according to my notes:

Kipling & King Vol 2 page 20 refer to the Kings Crown "large" gun as being produced in gilding metal, which they show as KK 808, & they state "also in gilt & bronze & with the wheel of the gun mounted seperately".
                      The photo they show as KK 808 appears to be of a mounted wheel version.

The St Edwards Crown version in gilding metal is shown as KK 1937, & is given as sealed 6/12/54.
                      It is stated to have been sealed in anodised 3/2/60.
                      The illustration KK 1937 appears to be of a mounted wheel pattern.

The Kings Crown "small" gilding metal gun is shown as KK 1936, & is stated to have been sealed 16/10/47.

The St Edwards Crown version is shown as KK 1938, sealed 20/1/54, & an anodised version is stated to have been sealed 23/6/54.

Gaylor states that the Kings Crown large & small badges changed to St Edwards Crown in 1954.

He does not repeat the hoary old "pre war regular" story concerning the mounted wheel (does Spike Milligan refer to this distinction in one or other of his memoirs?), but says that there is apparently "no distinction".

I have read of mounted wheel versions being pre-war issue, NAAFI purchases etc but have found no proper reference, so any info re this, is of interest.
                      Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-27-2005, 01:39 PM.

Comment

There are two versions of the anodised Cap and beret badge. The original aa badges that are the same pattern as the brass one, and a more modern looking badge. Both were issued, the original aa CAP badge with a raised wheel from the new badge added is a purchase from the Royal Artillery Association shop. If your not sure what I mean post an image of your aa badges and I will let you know.
                        References are not available at the moment, but they are various WO docs, List of changes and Pattern cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
                          There are two versions of the anodised Cap and beret badge. The original aa badges that are the same pattern as the brass one, and a more modern looking badge. Both were issued, the original aa CAP badge with a raised wheel from the new badge added is a purchase from the Royal Artillery Association shop. If your not sure what I mean post an image of your aa badges and I will let you know.
                          References are not available at the moment, but they are various WO docs, List of changes and Pattern cards.
                          So there is an original, issue version, a newer, mounted wheel issue version, & also the original issue type but with mounted wheel added & sold as private purchase?
                          By more modern looking, do you mean the type with smooth ground without grass?

I've just edited an update to my last, which gives the only real nfo that I know - just the info from Kipling & King & from Gaylor.

Comment

Yes and Yes.

None of the Gun badges in K&K are aa. The last badge (1938) is either the very elusive brass version or an officers gilt.

The sealed pattern dates in K&K are correct, but it took a year or two before the old badges were used up and therefore the new ones made and issued.

Just to add a little confusion, "Ammo UK" made and sold brass versions of the old QC beret badge and the officers style QC cap badge. They (the old style) have also been privately made in the new anodised metal, not seen an issued version yet.

There is a pattern number and cataluoge number for an aa KC cap and beret badge, but I have yet to see either one.
                            Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 01-27-2005, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X