JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP FOR THIS HELMET!!!! British helmet 1878 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP FOR THIS HELMET!!!! British helmet 1878 ??

Hallo, I take this old British helmet in an old house, together other items..
    I made a research on it and I found some pics about a British pickeloube helmet Blue cloth Army pattern mod. 1878 Victorian Age....it is possible? On the top there are some crown but I don't know if it's a british crown Victorian age.....or other...
    So, I 'm not expert about this cloth helmet....and I need help on it !!!
    Thank you for the opinions!
    Marvolo59
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Yep that looks correct for a late 18th early 20th Home Service British Helmet for a line unit.

The only think I am not liking are the crowns on spike I think they had rosettes mostly

by the way a pickeloube is leather spiked helmet,

Comment

Yes...I think so.......mostly of them has the rosettes on the top, not crown...but I don't know why there are crowns on it.....

Thank you !!!!

Comment

Do you think it's an Officer helmet??

Comment

Originally posted by marvolo59 View Post
                      Do you think it's an Officer helmet??
                      It's an officer's helmet, but the spike & base are incorrect, and not British at all.
                      Here is mine, located an another thread.

Bob Shoaf
                      Attached Files

Comment

As noted the spike and base are wrong for a British helmet, but I don't really think it is an officer's helmet for the British based on the rounded front visor. The British officer's pattern had a more "pointed" visor as seen in Bob's example.

The OR (other ranks) had the rounded helmet.

However, the British hatters that made these may have exported some. The crown actually looks like it could be Dutch. I have a post-WWII (circa 1950s) Blue Cloth/Home Service Style helmet to Garderegiment Fuseliers Prinses Irene.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garder..._Prinses_Irene

Look at the photos of the helmets... these seem similar. The NCO in the front (I think he is an NCO) has brass trim on the visor. The others do not. The spike base is correct as the officer's bases have crowns I believe. The spike is still not quite right for a Dutch helmet.

But many countries did use similar helmets and I believe the British hat makers did export these. So I don't think it is a British Home Service Helmet. I think it is a helmet that was exported for use by another nation.

I think Dutch, but with the wrong spike added.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu View Post
                          As noted the spike and base are wrong for a British helmet, but I don't really think it is an officer's helmet for the British based on the rounded front visor. The British officer's pattern had a more "pointed" visor as seen in Bob's example.

The OR (other ranks) had the rounded helmet.

However, the British hatters that made these may have exported some. The crown actually looks like it could be Dutch. I have a post-WWII (circa 1950s) Blue Cloth/Home Service Style helmet to Garderegiment Fuseliers Prinses Irene.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garder..._Prinses_Irene

Look at the photos of the helmets... these seem similar. The NCO in the front (I think he is an NCO) has brass trim on the visor. The others do not. The spike base is correct as the officer's bases have crowns I believe. The spike is still not quite right for a Dutch helmet.

But many countries did use similar helmets and I believe the British hat makers did export these. So I don't think it is a British Home Service Helmet. I think it is a helmet that was exported for use by another nation.

I think Dutch, but with the wrong spike added.
                          I never though that it could be an export model, but that may well be true. Dutch Marines, perhaps?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X