Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW II veteran research help needed

Hello,

Can anyone help with my research, I just applied to Archives Canada ( Personnel Records Unit) and submitted the Canadian KIA WW II soldiers name and service # along with his unit. I requested copies of his military personnel files and I phoned to ask how long a request such as mine usually took and was told that it would take from 6 months to a year to complete. Is this an accuate estimate of time for this service? I was also wondering if there is any other way of getting an individuals WW II military records, I appreciate all and any help and information, thank you

Gerry

Hi Gerry;

Archives Canada is currently suffering from the same ailment as many Canadian government departments - namely cutbacks in staff and funding.
    There are very few full-time employees in the PRU, although they are successful in bringing in part-time and casual help from time to time.
    I think the extended time frame they provided you with is to allow themselves time to do the research and copying should they be unable to get extra help.

I am currently awaiting copies of my Uncle's WWII RCAF records, and I was given the same time frame as you.
    However, a few months ago I submitted a request for copies of one of my Uncle's WWI records (he was killed at Vimy Ridge in 1917) and surprisingly, they arrived in less than a month, even though when I submitted my request I was advised it could take as much as 6 months or more.

In light of this, I would suggest you go ahead and submit your request and keep your fingers crossed. Also, I am not aware of any other source which could provide you with copies of these records, so they're pretty well the 'only ball game in town'.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Regards,
    Don

Comment

Hi Don,

Thanks for the information and encouragement, I guess I should be patient and hopefully I'll receive the files sooner than I anticipated. I should be grateful that this information is even available to me, thanks again.

Gerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X