Polish Airborne ambulances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polish Airborne ambulances

I picked up a small grouping of Polish airborne photo's, I wondered if anyone could shed some light on this photo for me please, it appears the ambulance has a polish airborne insignia painted on the front fender, I wondered the location.if anyone had an idea, Arnhem area?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grndevil44; 08-22-2015, 07:14 PM.

inside and a shot from an aircraft factory?
    Attached Files

Comment

seems the owner was also a member of the airborne band
      Attached Files

Comment

and this one with name on the back, anyone help with a proper spelling, greatly appreciated
        Attached Files

Comment

a couple more from the group
          Attached Files

Comment

It's going to be very hard to find out the exact location but i'm a 100% sure the first photo was taken somewhere in the Netherlands. You find this type of buildings a lot in the Netherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurens Van D. View Post
              It's going to be very hard to find out the exact location but i'm a 100% sure the first photo was taken somewhere in the Netherlands. You find this type of buildings a lot in the Netherlands.
              my thoughts Netherlands too, I couldn't find reference to Polish organized ambulances, I mislaid my notepad with the Airborne medics details during Arnhem

Comment

P

The first photo was taken outside the "Jounger school" in Driel. This was used as the medical station by the Polish Airborne during "Market-Garden".
                The 2nd photo is inside the "Jounger School" after the Germans shelled it, bringing down the rafters of the roof inside. (This roof was used for minor operations in the aid station). Also note the stretcher on the floor.
                The Photo with the German aircraft maybe "Ravenstein" airfield, which was one of the places used by the Poles when they were pulled out of Market-Garden before being sent back to England.
                .. The other "field" photo's would also tie in with the movement from Driel to Ravenstein ...

And the portrait photo was taken in St.Andrews in Scotland.

I believe these photo's belonged to a member of the Polish Airborne medical company, ... as quite a few members also played in the band also shown in one of the photo's.

Hope this was of some help ...
                Last edited by Gary Jucha; 08-23-2015, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Gary, I can't thank you enough, , I really appreciate your help, anything you can recommend reading about the Polish here

Comment

Medics who were band members. Or viuce versa. A fine old British military tradition! Thanks for the info. and IDs. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                      Medics who were band members. Or viuce versa. A fine old British military tradition! Thanks for the info. and IDs. Fascinating stuff.
                      and two more from the group
                      Attached Files

Comment

T

The first photo is possibly "Ravenstein" again, ...
                        And the 2nd photo is quite later .... into 1945, or possibly up till may 47 when the Brigade were acting as BAOR troops in Germany.

Books ..
                        Best one would be "Poles Apart" .. (The Polish Airborne at the Battle of Arnhem) ...... G.F.Cholewczynski ... sapeden press 1993

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                          To try to clarify, for the last 30 years or so they were trained musicians who formed part of their regiment as the regimental band, and are given rudimentary medical training. In wartime however they are attached to RAMC units for use as stretcher bearers/CBRN decontaminators. Infantry medics are something different ie fully trained infantry soldiers with an add qual of medic, whereas RAMC medics have more in depth medical training.

Great pics BTW, esp the RAP.

Comment

Any idea how they managed to airlift those ambulances? With Hamilcar gliders perhaps?

Luc

Comment

Very nice photos!
                              Gary wrote almost everything :-)

Soldiers from the band (Medical Coy) came from Anders Army to 1st Para Bde.
                              Because of those skills the whole group was incorporated to the Polish Brigade's Medics.

Medical vehicles were delivered by ships as a part of sea tail no 1. They joined in the end of fights at Driel.

Portrait photo has dedication on back with the name of soldier STEFAN STRZELECKI who got this photo as a gift. Probably he was not a parachutist.

I hope it will be usefull.
                              Greetings
                              Rafal

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                              Any idea how they managed to airlift those ambulances? With Hamilcar gliders perhaps?

Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X