Air Crew Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Crew Europe

What a turn out lovely ACE and a bar that came with loads of other british medals and other items....thought i would post it up and see what you guys think!!!

Regards

Lee

Originally posted by ulrichrudel
    What a turn out lovely ACE and a bar that came with loads of other british medals and other items....thought i would post it up and see what you guys think!!!

Regards

Lee
    And the BAR

Comment

Im sorry but im not no expert but I dont like this for three reasons and they might not even be valid but i will say them..
      1, the points are not sharp enough they are to dull
      2, the 'W' in Crew does not line up with the bottom point
      3, the ridge on the points is not very well defined and maybe even rounded.

I could email you a scan of mine to let you compare. let me know.

just my oppinion though so take it with a grain of salt and wait for the big guns to nod or shake their heads.

Hope it is real and im wrong for you mate.
      Good luck
      Dan

Comment

Hmm

Thanks for your reply but this just came straight from the mans son...i know this is correct and period medal please see the 5 pimples on the centre of the crown.............fakes have none and the position of the v against the w is not a reason for fake or copy...the main ways to id a fake of this badge is the open V, and the pimples on the crown i know of a few medals with the V and W positions varying this does not in my oppinion make it a fake....hope i am right!!! or they made these medals as copies for the recipients...

Comment

I went and edited my post rather than replying

Here is the link to the site that shows some important points to consider when Identifying real ACE stars:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/hartleyi/acediscussion

My picture (attached below) is an attributed piece for a Canadian Observer "Gordon Knupp" KIA over Belgium May 09, 1944.

The crucial point that is made on that link that shows some copies is this statement:

"there is some minor variation between originals, mainly because the dies used to make them wear over time and different dies may have been used to make them. "
          Attached Files
          Last edited by h009291; 01-09-2005, 04:25 PM.

Comment

There are some aspects about the Star that I like and others I don't. Could we see the top point and the ring?
            I'll scan mine for comparison...it's a for sure good one, but there are of course some variants that are all "original"

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

h009291 is your ACE the one in the top right of the screen?...

Comment

Pics as requested!!! Sorry for the glare and colour of the cross its my bedroom light, makes it look far shinier than it is any ways here is the pic

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Maltby
                  h009291 is your ACE the one in the top right of the screen?...
                  Mine is the picture posted in Reply # 5. The one in the link is someone elses.

Comment

h00 look where it says British and Commonwealth in old script up top there is an ACE to the right of it and the photo looks the same as yours but cropped. Just wondered man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Maltby
                      h00 look where it says British and Commonwealth in old script up top there is an ACE to the right of it and the photo looks the same as yours but cropped. Just wondered man.
                      Damn, I didnt even notice that one up there Took me forever to see it .. I wasn't quite sure what you were referring to

Well ... it does look kinda the same .. but it is not .. as far as I know

Comment

Here is my cross...this one also issued to a Canadian. The scanner really accentuates the toning, but as you can see the detailing is superior to the one in question. Look also at the sharper points of the star, which is correct for the original issues. I also have some reservations about the stippling background in the annulus where the "THE AIR CREW EUROPE STAR" letter are.

I'll post this and then take a further look...

Cheers,

Adam
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the posts and replies guys....but i am seeing a difference in all medals posted!!!! surely the details will differ as more and more crosses come out the presses etc while being made...there is one thing on the last cross posted that has got my attention....that is the no beading between the crown????? see pic...oh well guess we will have to make our own mind up here?

Regards lee

Comment

Originally posted by ulrichrudel
                            oh well guess we will have to make our own mind up here?

Regards lee
                            That is the key Lee ... if you are happy ... that is all that matters

Comment

Yes as stated in my earlier post there are of course variation in the WWII Stars as they were produced in several countries, as well as at different times since the end of the war.

It's difficult to really tell the colour of the metal and the finish over a computer...looking at mine now it seems somewhat darker and more tarnished than it does in hand.

I'm not sure what you mean about the beading "between the crown"...

Mine belonged to Squadron Leader J. W. Kerwin of #1(F) Squadron, RCAF, Battle of Britain Hurricane pilot.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X