RCAF observers ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCAF observers ring

This morning, I was given a ring that a Canadian observer Named John Bawden was wearing when he bailed out over Normandy in the spring (?) of 1943. He was then shipped to Spain, and back to England by the underground. He bailled out of a two seater aircraft (Mosquito?).
    I have no experience researching RCAF people, any one know where to start?

JL

I know of a RCAF Observer called Russell Bawden.....sorry, dont know who John is.

There was also a L. J. Bawden serving with the RAFVR serving with General Duties Branch.

Steve.
    Last edited by yellow; 01-06-2005, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Will have a look through some stuff for you when I get home from work, JL.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

OK, thanks. The ring has the observers motto ; "For ardva ad astra", and the insignia of the RCAF. On the inside, it says Sterling, Esquiro, W, 10K.
        Yellow, was your Bawden shot down over Normandy by any chance? This John Bawden then was involved in a chain of Hotels in the USA after the war, the people who gave me the ring told me.
        Adam, I dont know if you saw the message after the last time you helped me with a FSSF vet, but I had sent him a letter, and it ended up the guy had died in 1995, but his wife got the letter. His son sent me some scans of some pictues.

JL

Comment

JL,

Ref the FSSF vet...sorry to hear that he had passed away, but nice that his family did get the letter and that they were able to provide you with some photos! Perhaps if you keep in touch with them other photos and information may surface in time.

The ring markings sound odd... "Per Ardua ad Astra" is the motto of the RCAF generally, not just observers...as far as I understand anyhow. That the ring is marked sterling and 10K (suggesting 10 karat gold) is puzzling...is it a multi-piece affair?

If he bailed out in France...he may have been a member of the caterpillar club. I don't have much info on this but it may be another avenue to explore...

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Yes, the ring has the motto and insignia welded (or glued, or whatever) on to it as far as I can see. There is no question about its authenticity (well, there is always a 0.01% chance...) . The lady who gave it to me had it since 1943 when John got rid of it to be able to go to Spain with the underground. He had landed in her garden, and they hid him for several days. Of course, he fell in love with her.

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X