Essex Scottish Glengarry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essex Scottish Glengarry

Here is a nice Glengarry I picked up some years back. It came from a Vets family in Ontario, Canada but the strange thing is the vet served with the Perth Regiment not the Essex Scottish. I found other non Perth Regiment stuff in his belongings and came to the conclusion that the vet had probably collected bits and pieces from other units himself. I also discovered that he was good friends with an Essex Scottish Vet who was at Dieppe so its possible he got it from him. It is not dated or marked but I am fairly certain it is WW2 vintage from the construction and aging. Although missing its "tails" its quite a nice item and certainly has charactor. As most of you will know the Essex Scottish made up part of the landing force decimated on the beaches at Dieppe in 42. Its a shame that Dieppe is largely forgotten as I believe lessons learned there saved many lives on D-Day.
    Attached Files

Nice Glen, Des and certainly looks WWII to me as well. Have you checked the man's service record? It's entirely possible that he spent some time in both units either before and/or during the war. The two regiments are located not too far from each other.

Yes Dieppe, a tragic affair...but I would not say it has been largely forgotten...at least not here in Canada. I would say it probably ranks after Vimy as the best known "Canadian" battle of the World Wars.

I once had the medals to the only RCN Officer killed at Dieppe, a very interesting group...I'll see if I still have any pics and research. Just missed a set to a Black Watch of Canada man who was accidentally wounded when a grenade went off enroute to the Beaches...but it went for silly money on ebay.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. Well yes, Dieppe certainly gets coverage in Canada (as it of course should). I recall seeing a lot of Newspaper articles there about Dieppe vets and also alot of Dieppe Street signs. Outside of Canada, I dont think it gets much mention? and thats really what i am referring to.

In regards to the Perth Regiment Vet, I have his paybook amongst other items (though the medals escaped me ). I looked through it but dont recall seeing mention of him being in the Essex Scottish? I had initially thought he had been in both units but some other Canadian collectors dismissed it when I mentioned it?

Am I right in thinking the Perths were raised in London while the Essex Scots came out of Windsor? The vet was from Chatham so right in between those 2 towns.

The RCN group sounds interesting. Please do post the pics if you still have them. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Des,

Yes I am sure you are right that Dieppe gets little mention outside of Canada. Although a disaster it was not on a scale that would provoke international commemoration...besides it primarily involved Canadians and we don't tend to "toot our own horns" nearly as much as some do...

Upon reflection I would say that the memory of Dieppe (and all Canadian Military history for that matter) is dying with the younger generations who have very little interest. I'm sure the story is similar in many countries mind you.

An example would be the Halifax Explosion of 1917. I live in Halifax now and was shocked and appalled at how many LOCALS had no idea this event had transpired in their own city...

When I get home (I'm slacking at work) I'll see if I can dig up any more Dieppe related items that might be of interest, including the RCN group.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Am I right in thinking the Perths were raised in London while the Essex Scots came out of Windsor? The vet was from Chatham so right in between those 2 towns.
          Hi Des: You're right, the Essex Scots are from Windsor - The Perth Regiment, until its amalgamation with the Highland Light Infantry in the mid-60's was from Stratford, ON. But still in the general area that is being discussed.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X