Military Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Cross

I have some Canadian/Commonwealth WWII medals in my collection but mostly my area of specialization is German WWI and WWII.

Today in a shop, I came across a Military Cross c/w inscription on the back to the recipient.

I know these are quite rare with maybe 2600 awarded during WWII, but would the award also have the recipients name inscribed on the reverse? I suppose the recipient could have had this done himself by a jeweler.

Also, if this award is genuine, what would be the approximate value? What would I look for on this medal that would indicate originality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Al R

Originally posted by Spitfire
    I have some Canadian/Commonwealth WWII medals in my collection but mostly my area of specialization is German WWI and WWII.

Today in a shop, I came across a Military Cross c/w inscription on the back to the recipient.

I know these are quite rare with maybe 2600 awarded during WWII, but would the award also have the recipients name inscribed on the reverse? I suppose the recipient could have had this done himself by a jeweler.

Also, if this award is genuine, what would be the approximate value? What would I look for on this medal that would indicate originality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Al R
    This is the most Byooootiful medal ever created, the silver, combined with the Ribbon....

Was it a WW1 or 2 cross? 37000 awards for WW1, 11000 for WW2 plus some inbetween and some after.

Engraving would have beenprivately done but can still effect the price quite a bit, especially if the rest of the goodies are there. Have seen engraved awards without anything else still fetching high prices.

Here is one to a guy who led a daylight trench raid where he personally killed 2 enemy soldiers with a bayonet.
    Attached Files

Comment

As Chris stated, the MC is truly a gorgeous medal...certainly one of my favourites!

Copies (some good ones) exist, so be careful. WWII ones will be dated with the date of award (year only) engraved in the reverse of the lower arm. WWI examples will be undated. They are often hallmarked on the lower arm as well.

Look for nice patina on the medal, sharp details, etc. Images of originals are available online, have a good look at them before you spend your money.

Check the style of engraving...if it looks like it was done yesterday, it probably was. It is not unheard of for unscrupulous types to have original medals engraved to make them more appealing and thus more valuable. Look for toning in the engraved portions and try to familiarize yourself with examples of period engraving to help with your "gut instinct".

If you can get a refund, and you think it looks good...I would suggest purchasing it and then showing it here. The membership should be able to help your further.

I hope that is helpful.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

A beautiful decoration , thanks for sharing Chris. I've had this miniature for quite some time and perhaps you would like to comment on it.

KR
        Peter
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peter,

That is a very nice looking (contemporary) miniature. Even nicer that it has the bar (which as I'm sure you know signifies a 2nd award of the MC). Probably made in the 1920s or 30s. I like the salty ribbon too. It was probably mounted with WWI and possibly other medals at some point.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Hi Adam.

It's nice to get an opinion as to the timeframe. I believe you're right about the previous mounting. When I purchased this one, the guy also had a George-Cross miniature, but that got sold before I could grab it . They most probably came from the same mini ribbon-bar. Too bad some people take them apart in order to get more paid for the individual pieces

KR
            Peter

Comment

Got some pics

Chris, Adam, and Peter:

Finally got around to the guys shop and took some pics - here they are, please let me know what you guys think.....

thanks, Al R
              pic 1
              Attached Files

Comment

pic 2
                Attached Files

Comment

pic 3
                  Attached Files

Comment

pic 4
                    Attached Files

Comment

pic 5
                      Attached Files

Comment

pic 6
                        Attached Files

Comment

pic 7
                          Attached Files

Comment

pic 8
                            Attached Files

Comment

pic 9
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X