Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badges ok or re-strikes? Opinions please

Hi Guys,

Do these badges look old to you or do they look like re-strikes. They're all made of decent material, i.e. not flimsy. A few have been lacquered giving them that glossy appearance. I can provide close-ups of any if it helps.

Thanks!
    Tim
    Attached Files

backs

backs...
    Attached Files

Comment

Both badges at the left are Restrikes I think.
      The Best is to show the mountig of the lugs in detail, it's the best way to see the age.
      The 17/21 (Skull) is an Sleeve Badge. (For a Cap Badge, both end's of the Scroll must be flat.)
      Hope it help's a bit.
      Nicholas

Comment

I dont like any of them. Sorry

If you want to see some genuine Lincs Yeomanry drop me a message.

Steve.

Comment

Steve,
          Any chance of posting them, I'd be interested in seeing them too please ?

Thanks.

Keith

Comment

Thanks to those who replied.

Nicholas - here's a pic of the top left and lower left badges showing the lugs. I only have a scanner to use so I put the badges on edge but you can see how they are attached. What is it that's a sign of an original or re-strike?

Steve - I'm trying to learn to spot real from re-strikes. Can you be specific about what you don't like or is it just an impression.

Cheers,
            Tim
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim L.
              Thanks to those who replied.

Nicholas - here's a pic of the top left and lower left badges showing the lugs. I only have a scanner to use so I put the badges on edge but you can see how they are attached. What is it that's a sign of an original or re-strike?

Steve - I'm trying to learn to spot real from re-strikes. Can you be specific about what you don't like or is it just an impression.

Cheers,
              Tim
              They are all rare badges from small units but common as restrikes. They lack the fine rear detail of stamping as the reverse lettering it not good. The 2 Yeomanry on the right stopped being worn in about 1920 so these are too pristine. Difficult to spot the originals other than handling the real thing but even then unless you have the provenance (ie I was given 100 badges by my grandfather who collected them in the 1940s and has had then since then) the old restrikes have the 'age' (real or artificial) to be convincing. A lot of JR Gaunt. London marked badges are a common restrike from the 1970s when they sold off their dies and in my opinion best avoided.

Comment

Max- Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the badges on the right being to new looking, they are a little to crisp - and the Malta badge does not have a strong impression of the lettering on the back. That's why I've had doubts from the start about those.

What about the the Queen's Own W. Hussars and the 17th Lancers? Anything give them away as good or bad?

Nicholas - can you let me know what to look for in the way the lugs are attached to the back?

Thanks,
                Tim

Comment

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you........a few from my collection database. All are 100% pucka.

Thats the Imperial Yeomanry OR badge in white metal.

Heres the OR badge when the Imperial title was dropped. Depsite the bronze looking finish this is not a officers badge. All officers badges I have seen to the yeomanry have lugs.........Ive never seen a OR badge with lugs all have sliders.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting your badge. Man this is tough. My badge is brass with lugs but that's the only difference I can see when I put them side by side.

Tim
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X