British WW2 Movies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British WW2 Movies...

What is the best British WW2 Paratroop movie?

My thought: "A BRIDGE TOO FAR"

I haven't seen too many British war movies but this one is the one I really remember as being awesome.

"A bridge too far" is a classic but there is another film called "Theirs is the glory" that deals with Arnhem which is apparently very good too and has alot of the original vets playing themselves. I have never seen it because I have never been able to find a copy. Although someone told me that the hartenstein online museum sells copies now. Must go and buy it

Comment

"Theirs is the Glory" is very very good The kit used is of course all original. I know some of the stars from the film as they were members of the XXI Indep. Para Coy.

"ABTF" is also a fave of mine.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Yes, "Theirs is the Glory" is a great film!

My personal favourite though has to be "The Longest Day"!

Comment

Hi Guy's!
          Does anybody knows, how to get a copy from a BBC Production?
          It was made in 2003 about the No. 4 Commando's in the normandy Invasion.
          I supplied nearly 100 Brit Uniforms, but never got a copy of it.
          Thanks
          Nicholas
          P.S.: "A Bridge too Far"

Comment

`THEIRS IS THE GLORY ` is just brilliant the fact its filmed using original survivors , kit and locations is the closest you can get to time travel !!!

worth viewing just to listen to war corespondent STANLEY MAXSTEAD and ofcource DICKIE LONGSDALE making THAT speech in the church ,
            just superb ,Michael.

p.s does any one remember an old black n`white film from the 1950`s
            think it was called ` i was a boffin ` it was an effort to try and show the unsung guys working as scientists etc ,
            .......if i remember correct there was quite a good account of the Bruneval raid ?? OR is this another film ??

Comment

That rings a bell! I think that was on tv a year or so ago but I cant remember the name

Does anyone remember a black and white film with a section of British/Commonwealth troops who get cut off in a small fort/building in North Africa and are surrounded by Italians? What was that called!? I am not confusing it with "Sahara" by the way

Comment

Hiya ,
                ya must be phykkic Des,
                that one has been going aound my head all week ......
                i have two in mind , they are surrounded , the officer is the last to get killed ? LEO GLENN i think thats the actors name ( played one of the lead roles in The wooden horse )
                or .........the other one i remember is a similar format, near the end of the film the cpl or officer david Niven ?? do a quick ammo count up then set off in to the distance, would love to know the names of the films ??
                The daft thing is a few months back i got a booklet through the post from a private company doing DVD `s .....oops sorry not that type of private dvd company
                the were doing all the old , mainly war films / documentries / air craft collector enthusiast stuff like steam engines ,bus tram etc but they had some cracking old war films including the two we just talked of but cant remember the names plus a load more i have never heard of,
                The booklet mentioned one film
                ` the film Churchill tried to ban ` ???? sorry dont know that one ? it also did some brilliant TV stuff from the 70`s and 80`s colditz ,secret army ( known as allo allo to you yonger guys ) A HORSE MAN RIDING BY , TO SERVE THEM ALL MY DAYS , MONICLED MUTINEER ( BRILLIANT ) and ENEMY AT THE DOOR filmed on SARK , FAMILY AT WAR ....ya remember that one ADE ???
                any way cant find the booklet now , put it some where safe .....like ya do
                regards ,Michael ,
                P.S if any one is interested i will try to find it
                Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 01-02-2005, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Michael,

The film I am talking about they dont all get killed. They are down to a few rounds per man and then the cavalry shows up. David Niven could have been in it but I`m not sure. He pops up in alot of war films

Comment

If the one you refer to stars David Niven then the name would be, " THE IMMORTAL BATTALION" If this is the one then I can say that I just bought it for less than $10 at Best Buy not too long ago.
                    Originally posted by Des Thomas
                    Michael,

The film I am talking about they dont all get killed. They are down to a few rounds per man and then the cavalry shows up. David Niven could have been in it but I`m not sure. He pops up in alot of war films

Comment

Best British WW2 airborne movie: A bridge too far.

Best British WW2 movie: The hill.
                      Best WW2 movie: The sound of music
                      Best movie: South Park, bigger longer & uncut
                      Luc

Comment

Check this out this old film called 'The Red Beret' (covers the Bruneval raid and North Africa)
                        Never have seen it before, title worng in Youtube but good and pretty acurate regarding the gear and clothing early British Airborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVoaBcky68

Comment

The film

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Theirs-Glor...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Comment

" the long day's dying"

Comment

Theirs is the glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFeYxlPYy4

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X