Award criteria for AcE Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award criteria for AcE Star

I'm woundering if anyone out there can help me define 'oporational' in regards to the Aircrew Europe star. It states that 60 days 'operational' service before D-day is required, now would that start counting at the apointment to an operational squadron or would it start counting at your first combat sortie?

I'm asking because I have a service record and flight log for my Grandfather and his first sortie over occupied France was Nov. 5/6 1943 in an O.T.U. Wellington. He flew the rest of his tour with 625 squadron, being posted there April 10 1944 (short of the 60 day requierment by 3 days?).

I thought I would toss this one out here first before I tie up the phone lines at the Vet. affairs office.

M.G.

As far as I'm aware, 'operational' means precisely that. If he was on an OTU then he was operational - whether he actually flew over enemy territory or not. If he was 'short' by three days? Don't hold your breath. These rules of entitlement are very specific. It won't harm to ask though.

Comment

Search this forum, I've posted at least one reply about ACE qualification, I think. If you can't find it PM me & I'll dig out the relevant booklet from the garage & let you know..........

Comment

I'm being lazy, but here's what I typed up before re somebody else's query about a relative & the ACE.......

I was going to try to decipher the relevant passages of:
        "The War Medal 1939-45 etc etc ...............with appendix, Commitee On The Grant Of Honours Decorations And Medals, HMSO June 1946",
        but it would take forever. I'll sit & type it all up & post the info in a while...........

In fact, perhaps this helps?:

Air Crew Europe Star
        (a). The time qualification is at present two months service as air crew in a unit engaged in operational flying from United Kingdom bases over Europe (including the United Kingdom) between the 3rd September, 1939 and the 5th June, 1944, inclusive, provided the 1939-45 Star has first been earned by two months air crew service in an operational unit, including participation in operations against the enemy.
        (b). Under the present rules an individual who serves two months in operational air crew, and participates in operations against the enemy, receives the 1939-45 Star. If thereafter, he served two months in operations which qualify for the Air Crew Europe Star, he is awarded the Air Crew Europe Star.
        (c). If, however, he served his first two months in the area which would qualify for the Air Crew Europe Star, for that, he receives the 1939-45 Star. If, thereafter, he served another two months in operations, in another area, he does not qualify for the Air Crew Europe Star, although he has served four months in operational air crew of which two have been in operations over Europe in the period up to the 5th June 1944.
        (d). Four months service as Air Crew in an operational unit, any two months of which qualify for the Air Crew Europe Star, will now be regerded as a qualification for that Star.
        (e). Time as a prisoner of war, however, will not be counted towards the total qualifying period of four months, unless the individual had completed his two months service for the 1939-45 Star and had begun to earn the Air Crew Europe Star before being made prisoner.

The appendix states:

The 1939-45 Star.

(vi). General -
        (a) Operational service for a lesser period than six and two months respectively, but brought to an end by death, wounds or other disability due to service qualifies. The grant for service in operations, of an Honour, Decoration or Mention in Despatches or King's Commendation is, in the armed Forces or the Merchant Navy, a qualification for the award of the Star.
        (b). Those who receive the 1939-45 Star for service of less than six or two months in operations will be required to complete an aggregate of six or two months operational service in any theatre or theatres before beginning to count service for the Atlantic Star or the Air Crew Europe Star. In the Navy, and Merchant Navy, for the Pacific, Burma, or Italy Stars, a prior six months operational service is required. (See also certain modifications of these conditions described in the text below relating to particular Stars).

The appendix also states:

The Air Crew Europe Star

(v). Service for the Air Crew Europe Star brought to an end by death, wounds or other disability due to service, or marked by an award or mention in despatches, qualifies although it may not have amounted to two months.

So, if Uncle Sid's service was between the relevant dates, 2 months operational service as air crew qualifies him for the 39 - 45 Star, & then his service begins to count towards the 2 months required for the A.C.E. Star.
        4 months service as air crew in an operational unit, any two months of which qualify for the A.C.E. Star, is regarded as a qualification for that Star.
        As his service towards the A.C.E. Star was brought to an end by death due to service, he qualifies even though he did'nt serve the 2 months otherwise necessary to qualify.

If his area of ops & dates fit, then reach for the (39-45 & A.C.E.) Stars.........

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
        So there you go, flying over Britain also qualified, not just flying over mainland europe, looks like grandad served 2 months to qualify for the 39-45 Star, & then again for the ACE.
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-03-2005, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X