British Para Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent info guys, keep it comin'

What I'm still trying to find out is if the location of the rivets on the left side is a good way to judge if straps are genuine or not.
    The thing is that I've seen 2 patterns/configurations if you like: 2 rivets just above the brass rings and one above and the other way around (like Jeroen's straps).
    If you are reluctant to post as you don't want to help the fakers; please feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail.
    Any help is apprciated.
    Cheers, Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald
      Excellent info guys, keep it comin'

What I'm still trying to find out is if the location of the rivets on the left side is a good way to judge if straps are genuine or not.
      The thing is that I've seen 2 patterns/configurations if you like: 2 rivets just above the brass rings and one above and the other way around (like Jeroen's straps).
      If you are reluctant to post as you don't want to help the fakers; please feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail.
      Any help is apprciated.
      Cheers, Luc
      '

There are 2 makers of the leather helmets G&S and BmB the rivets are mounted in different way from each one just to make it easier for you.

Comment

Thanks Robert,

That eases my mind about thestraps on my helmet!

Cheers, Luc

Comment

wow, those are some nice helmets!

Good collection

Comment

Thanks for posting them! Very nice!

Cheers,
            Junior.

Comment

Guys, please take a look at a helmet that was offered for sale:

It has riveted straps on one side and stitched on the other. I have a bad feeling about this one, any thoughts?
              Luc

Comment

para helmet

hi very nice helmets i had a huge collection years ago i done a display for the 50 anniversary at ringway airport now manchester airport sadly i s old everything inoted on one of your helmets the nut on the outside should this not be on the inside regards billy

Comment

Hi Luc, the photo is not great and it does not inspire confidence in the helmet..

Hi Billy, welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you sold all your kit
                  Nuts on the outside of the helmet is a sign of the liner being removed/replaced. This is not the kiss of death but it is something to bear in mind. I have one in my collection which has the nuts on the outside but this helmet served from 1943 until the 1980's.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Great Helmets, but i hope that aren`t foamheads where your helmets on!!!

Comment

Hi Billy,

Nuts on the outside is not something to worry about, especially in leather strapped helmets. The gromets were very fragile and often used to pull out of the harness as the canopy deployed. Obviously this meant a lot of re-adjustment. It is far easier to get a screwdriver inside the helmet than a spanner and in general this is why you find nuts on the outside. Any faker is likely to replace the nuts correctly so as not to attract attention.

Yours, Guy

Comment

Here you go Guy! Better late than never!

Thanks, from Jack.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
                          Here you go Guy! Better late than never!

Thanks, from Jack.
                          Fanbloodytastic thank you Jacko . The fibre rim has now been purchased by a good friend he will be very happy to see this.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X