Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCAF Pith Helmet

Hi guys,
    Looking for some information regarding this RCAF pith helmet. Would the helmet itself not be Air Ministry marked?
    I take it the flash is the same for RAF and RCAF, so barring finding the FO listed its not possible to tell which. Being WD stamped its more likely RAF?
    Attached Files

pics
    Attached Files

Comment

picss
      Attached Files

Comment

Jeff,

I have an almost identical helmet, stamped on the lining with a Melbourne, Australia makers logo, size 7 1/2, but no WD or arrow like yours. The sweatband is a very light buff colour. Unfortunately, the former wearer's name has been made illegible.

I'd say that your helmet, like mine, could be worn by most of the Commonwealth air forces.

Mike

Comment

Nice early war Wolseley helmet. I agree that these were worn by most of the Commonwealth Air Forces.

Your example appears to be made of cork. After around 1941 I start to find the helmets were made of pressed felt. I haven't been able to prove it, but my theory is that the supply of cork from Portugal stopped - who was going to risk bringing in cork over other war supplies. So the helmets produced in 1942/43 were mostly pressed felt. England had a long history with felt hat matters. I assume soldiers ate the rabbit meat and wore the felt on their heads!

None of these helmets were actually made of "pith," which is why I try to avoid calling them pith helmets.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X