Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those "Indian Pattern" wings...

Hi all!

I have been having a pair of locally made, "Indian pattern" wings in my collection for some years now and I have been wondering if they could have been made in North Africa or Italy, rather than in the Far East.

Up to date, I had just seen two such examples, on an ex-Sacred Band officer's BD blouse, owned by a Greek dealer and fellow collector and a portrait of the first para-trained Greek, Themis Marinos.

Some days ago I found out some photos of the first para-trained woman of the Greek Royal Army Middle East, Sonia-Sophia Stefanidou and her uniform, which is on display in the War Museum of Athens.

All of them seem to have quite a similar appearance and my question is if these are "just" a Greek "adaptation" of the Indian pattern or if there are any such examples of locally made wings which have a confirmed connection to the N. Africa, Italy or Mediterranean theatres and have been period used by the British or other Commonwealth nations.

Best regards,
    Giorgos

First, a photo of the wings. It seems that they have been sewn on a uniform at some time.

The photo of the NZ made, 1943 dated BD blouse of a Captain. The man served in the Sacred Band as a 2nd Lieutenant and later as a Captain in the 30th Inf. Brigade. The BD still has the Civil War era formation patch on the right shoulder.

A period portrait of Themis Marinos. Note the colour of the wings' background and their distinctive "arch".

Portrait of Stefanidou and photo of her uniform, bearing this "Indian pattern" patch.

very interesting! thanks
    Oriano

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X