Help Dating a Mk III Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Dating a Mk III Helmet

Picked up this Mk III helmet at a local antique store, was mislabeled as a East German Vo-Po helmet.

I can't find a date or stamp anywhere inside the helmet, except the # 688, thats it.

Any help?

This is the only stamp I can see

I think i can see a date on the third picture. It's located above the bolt, but i'm not completely sure.

Comment

The liner has a post war date, probably a replacement, but by paint color, liner attachment style, and position of chin strap rivets this is clearly a Mk III not a Mk IV. I can't find a date stamped into the metal shell. Is it possible this is one of the very early '43 shells that were not stamped?

Comment

It's possible that it's early production, but i'm not really an expert on those kind of things. Maybe the date stamp is hidden underneath the layer of paint?

Comment

From those pictures it looks to have been painted post war olive drab, but the early Mk3's were painted khaki green.
          I expect the first Mk3's were made by BMB, the date/maker stamp will be vertical to the rim at the rear of the helmet.
          If it's an RO&Co the date/maker will be horizontal to the rim.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X