Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Sword ID Help Please

Hi Gents,

An Australian buddy of mine recently sent me these images of a sword that's (apparently) been in his family for generations. I say apparently because although I have no reason to doubt him, sometimes family history gets confused!

My guess is it's a British sword that made its way to Australia at some point, but I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me out.

He's not really interested in value as he's not interested in selling (although if you do have some of idea I'm sure he would like to know). However, any details you guys could possibly provide would be extremely helpful. Age, model, what the grip is made of, who would have used it, etc.

Judging by the crude engraving on the blade, my guess is that the work has been "touched up" at some point.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Ii
    Attached Files

Comment

The grip is wrapped with ray skin, that much I can tell you.
      Ralph.

Comment

Victorian naval sword

Comment

Appears to be a Victorian Naval officers sword, as for value it will allways depend on condition, maker and blade markings.

Comment

The acid etch is original it's not been touched up

UK price £200-300
            I guess 1880's

Comment

Navy swords are worth more than army swords this is worth more like 4 - 5 hundred pounds , provided the blade isn't knackered . Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
                Navy swords are worth more than army swords this is worth more like 4 - 5 hundred pounds , provided the blade isn't knackered . Rob
                Rob, to get a price like you quote the whole sword would have to be in perfect condition, sword market has fallen as a lot of items have. Value will be between £250 and £450 IMHO , its all down to condition, and i might well be slightly optimistic

Comment

just sold one at auction for £260 - fees £208
                  market is soft for british swords

Comment

Thats trouble with living near London ( I live in New york now ) , prices for swords are always high at local auctions , theres a lot of competition , mind you now I have gone less completion lol . I love old swords especially swords that were used ( most pre 1900 ) so much history and so much cheaper than Nazi stuff . Rob

Comment

British swords are very undervalued in my opinion
                      I sold a 1821 pattern victorian cavalry sword for £110 last week and then it was a struggle .the week before I sold a mass produced luftwaffe sword easily for £500
                      One a true weapon the other just for show

Comment

In the US you can flog swords on eBay therefore getting a worldwide market whereas in England its verboten . Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X