Para Beret, Arborne Artilley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Para Beret, Arborne Artilley

Brought in this morning by the son of the veteran who recently passed away , his father was a Captain in the Airborne Artillery. I managed to get some details, which is allways nice, one faded memory that he has is that his father was once an observer during a raid on an allied ship in India were the crew had mutinied, so im going to have to do some research soon as. The cap is well worn with good WW2 construction detail, pity there is no date but we cant have it all. All comments are welcome
    Attached Files

Forgot to mention that with this beret was his bambo swagger stick and American manufactured wartime binoculars, perhaps Yank optics were found to be better that Brit ones
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Good one
        Very well worn item.

Can you find the WD mark? What letter is above it?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
          Good one
          Very well worn item.

Can you find the WD mark? What letter is above it?

Cheers
          Cheers Jan Nothing at all and no rear badge protector, would Officers have a diffrent model as they would wear bullion badges?

Comment

The internet can at time be a great tool, a quick search and i found a story from a member of the vetrans exact unit, 159 Parachute light regiment RA, formed up in 44 with part of the unit taking part in capturing Rangoon, after this unit was transfered to Karachi, when some Indian troops mutined on HMIS Hindastan in the habour, C troop 15 para went aboard were after a 20 minute engagment order was restored. This unit was then transfered to Palestine. The sons memory of his fathers story seems to match. Not sure if i can get much more info but will try as i do have his name.

Comment

Internet came up trumps again, the son mentioned how his dad was ordered to observe the ship from a point were he was open to return fire, he wasnt too happy, well a quick google search of HMIS Hindastan you will find a short discription of this action by the exact officer who owned this beret, Captain John Marshall, OC ''C'' Troop 554 Battalion. He was in charge of the unit who engaged the mutineers on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
                Cheers Jan Nothing at all and no rear badge protector, would Officers have a diffrent model as they would wear bullion badges?
                There is no seperate Officers model that I'm aware of. The bullion badge is IMO a personal thing (kind of private purchase). Most Officers wore the metal or plastic cap badge.
                You've found quiet a lot of information in such a short time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                  You've found quiet a lot of information in such a short time :-)
                  That doesnt usally happen to me and without the statement from Marshal himself on the action and the details given to me by his son, including the name and his fathers story it would have been impossible.

Comment

"perhaps Yank optics were found to be better that Brit ones"

Or, more likely, IMHO, some Yank carelessly left his binoculars lying about and they were 'souvenired' by a Brit. All's fair in love and war.

Comment

That beret has plenty of character!

Cheers on your purchase.

Comment

Nice one especially with the positive research . Rob
                        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

interesting research and nice honest cap

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X