Jersey, Channel Islands Surrender Notification Poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey, Channel Islands Surrender Notification Poster

It will be 75 years this summer since the occupation of our lovely Channel Islands

I will be back in a couple of week, I love the Islands

I thought I would show this, you don't see many of these around I don't think, I acquired it last year from a well known collector over there, had been in his museum for many years, measures approx 3 feet by 2 feet, quite large.

Not the most exciting object I know, but a really nice piece of British and Channel Islands History

Unfortunately it is not signed

Cheers
    Martin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Totenhead; 02-14-2015, 09:35 AM.

Nice piece Martin, last year I bought a set of six photo albums, which had belonged to a member of Aufklärungsgruppe 123, in one album are some aerial shots of St. Peters Port, Guernsey and landscape pictures of Guernsey. Folded up at the back of the album was a eight page broadsheet newspaper from Evening Press Guernsey also dated Monday 1 July 1940 slightly different content from yours, but printed "Orders of the Commandant etc, etc," the rest of the edition is mainly notices from shops and firms stating they are still running and open for business.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi

Be great to see more of those pictures !! That's a nice copy of the Guernsey 1st July Evening Press, I do have a Guernsey 2nd July Evening Press, I also have a Jersey 1st July Evening Post, also quite a few more various interesting copies, I also have a number of copies of the Deutsche Inselzeitung, the German version of the paper, I will show a few pictures now

Cheers
      Martin
      Attached Files

Comment

Tuesday 6th June 1944 Jersey Evening Post

Its interesting to read the German outlook on the start of the invasion
        Attached Files

Comment

Friday July 21st 1944
          Attached Files

Comment

Deutsche Inselzeitung
            Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting items , I have an Id card which is nice . Rob
              Attached Files
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Nice one Robb

Comment

Very interesting thread Gents, thanks

Comment

Here's some more Guernsey pictures
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice one Soldon

It’s interesting seeing the photo of the Dornier Bomber, would this have been a reconnaissance aircraft? The photo is dated 29-6-1940, the previous day Heinkel 111's had bombed St.Peter Port Guernsey, there were lots of trucks lined up along the harbour, they were assumed to be loaded with troops but were in fact loaded with tomatoes being readied for expert to the UK. The islands had in fact been demilitarised but a breakdown in communication at Whitehall resulted in the German government not being notified. Unfortunately 33 people were killed in Guernsey and Jersey that day

Comment

Yes Totenhead, as far as I know Aufklärungsgruppe 123 (Würzberg) were solely a reconnaissance unit. In the album is a aerial shot of Guernsey taken on the day you mention 28/6/40 shows the whole island. Reading through their biography they or at least some of their squadron were stationed on Jersey from 1 July 1940 -18 Feb 1941.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting Soldon. I will be in Jersey next weekend

In one of the pictures, are the 2 airman carrying tomatoes ??

Comment

This publication pops up on ebay from time to time and is interesting for the locals perspective on the occupation :

As a side note this group 'Aufklärungsgruppe 123 also get a few mentions in this book :

http://www.bookdepository.com/Hitler.../9781856355896

(Referring to 1943)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                            X