Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gloucestershire badges - OK?

Hi,

Can you guys tell me what you think of these badges please.

The cap badge appears to be a white metal plating on brass. It was the first badge I ever bought. Has anyone seen this type before? Is it ok and how old is it?

What was the large badge worn on and when?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Attached Files

badges

Hi Tim

Firstly let me say that I do not claim to be an expert. I am just a collector.
    Don't know if it will help but I enclose pictures of other Gloucestershire badges.
    Firstly, with reference to the large badge, I purchased an almost identical badge recently from a militaria fair as a copy of a pouch badge. I also enclose two pictures of badges in my collection. The top badge I believe to be a copy and the bottom original. As a point of interest, has anyone else noticed the facial differences in the badges. If you refer to the closeup, you will see that what I think is the original has a pronounced chin and ths copy a round chin?
    I am not saying your badges are copies(I will leave that to the experts), I am just showing some alternatived.
    Attached Files

Comment

fronts

fronts
      Attached Files

Comment

the rear

the rear
        Attached Files

Comment

the faces up close

the faces up close
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. Your pouch badge is definitely the same. They did a great job making the repro, it looks exactly like my original .

I don't think my white metal cap badge is a fake but rather made "in theatre" some time ago, but that's just a guess. It's strange that it has a brass base. Hopefully someone will have seen one like this before.

Here's a brass version I have beside my white metal. I'm not good at recognizing the copies other than the really cheap looking ones. I think my brass one is ok, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. Anyway, you can see yet another face style. It's also interesting to see how much the head-dresses vary in style.

Tim
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tim
              I have the same problem as you with the copies. Been collecting for years and must of handled thousands of badges but still lots to learn.I,m off to check the faces of my lincolnshire badges-see what turns up.
              Regards
              Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X