Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic uniform buttons & badges question

Hello,

Do any of you know when plastic buttons and badges were used on greatcoats and caps? Are they less common than brass buttons and badges?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Hi Tony, do a search on "Plastic cap badges" as I wrote a thread on them a while ago There is a fair bit of info there.

Buttons came in two sizes and colours. Greatcoat/tunic size and pocket/shoulder strap size. Colours were green or a less common dark brown. These were known as "Vegtable Ivory" as opposed to plastic. What a great name! These buttons are not rare and can be bought for as low as 10p each. "Anchor Surplus" in Nottingham had some last year for that price.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Ade,

Thanks for the very quick answer and info on that great thread.

The buttons I have are the dark brown type which are attached to a greatcoat (dated 1934) and a soft cap, unfortunately the cap badge isn't present.

Now the coat has "Artist" cloth titles sewn on but the buttons on the hat and coat are light infantry style only without the dangling tassles.

Do you or anyone else know why or if it's correct at all?

I'm back in England at the moment so don't have my books to look through.

Thanks

Tony

Comment

I think that the Titles an Buttons won't match, bacause the titles are for the 21st SAS "Artists", and they had their own type of buttons.
        Perhaps you can post a pic of the buttons, to find out wich Unit it is.
        BR
        Nicholas

Comment

Ok, here are a couple of pictures of the coat and one of the buttons.

Tony
          Attached Files

Comment

And the coat. Blurry because of lack of daylight.

Tony
            Attached Files

Comment

Lovely great coat. I think the regiment is the 28th County of London (Artist Rifles) a highly collected unit anywhere in the UK. Well done on that find!

During WW1 it was a rifle regiment of sorts. When causalities were high almost the entire Battalion was converted into Officers and sent to other units. You couldnt just join the Artist Rifles TA......you had to pay to join! The unit consisted of many well to do men such as bank managers and other professionals. A unit which kept the "riff raff" out! Snobs of the British Army.....fantastic stuff!

Steve.

Comment

That's great news Steve, I bought the cap too. It has the same plastic buttons on it but the cap badge is missing. There is a name and number inside, it's 6968006 Savage. I've just seen the name Goldberg in the liner too.

I doubt I'll be keeping hold of them so what do you think something like the hat and coat are worth?

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony, very nice I can see why you are hanging on to them.

I had forgot about those buttons. I just asumed (always a mistake!) that they would be the usual GS pattern. A friend of mine has a very nice 1940 pattern BD & trousers which came from Birmingham Rag market many years ago (for £10) with these buttons fitted throughout.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello Ade,

I'll probably sell them on as I'm more in to the Great War, but have no idea what they are worth. Do you know?

Cheers

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony, sorry I really havn't a clue. But as Steve mentioned an early greatcoat with nice insignia has got to appeal to many collectors.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello Ade,

I'll probably stick it on ebay (if I can take some good photos) and see what happens.

Tony

Comment

You should of said about the side hat earlier mate!

I did a number check on the regimental number on your hat. It ties up nicely with a member of the Rifle Brigade serving during WW2:-

6905001 - 6972000

Now what happened was the 28th Londons became a Corps of the Rifle Brigade....still maintaining their identity and cap badge.

I have done a War Graves, POW and Awards check for you with no luck.

Dont let that lot go so soon. Where theres a name theres research to be done as I have just proven. Theres probably going to be nothing on him at the PRO but it might be worth writing to the museum or checking out the OCA reports/regimental journals.

My intention is not to put ideas into any ones head but if you do put this coat and side hat on Ebay I imagine the next time I`ll see it it will have a white metal Artists cap badge attached to that side hat.

Steve.
                          Last edited by yellow; 12-18-2004, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Hello Steve,

It,s a peaked soft cap like the Great War hats but with air vents on the side and green backing under the peak. The buttons are the same as on the coat and the chinstrap is a sort of dark shiny leather.

If I can take some good detailed photos (either tomorrow morning or Monday) I'll put them on in a new thread, as this one is steering away from the buttons.

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X