Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Para / Trade Badge ??? Help Please

Hiya ,
    many thanks to our new member from ` from down under` for showning some nice bits and getting me motivated again !!
    please have a look at the photo below and see what you think .
    the scan is taken from a large battalion photo of 7 para just before D.DAY , The guy in the middle has on his left arm a large dark coloured patch ?
    the badge appears to be at least 3in x3in ,the original photo is very clear and the badge appears all one colour and does not look to have any other details on it.
    As far as i can tell, he is the only guy in the battalion to be wearing it ,
    any ideas please ?? leaving aside that he just happens to be a para is this some form of army trade patch ,maybe only worn by one guy per unit postal private /colonels batman ?? any help /comments would be great , regards ,Michael.
    P.S Richard Todd is sat with the officers and he was a good looking dude even back then !!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 12-15-2004, 06:19 PM.

Hello Michael,

I have just spent half an hour enlarging the photograph and going through books and I can't match it to anything. The funny thing is that when I enhanced the photo of the patch it resembles a boat propeller? Did the para's have small boat handlers or the like. I don't know if this helps, but the photo's great.

regards
    Paul

Comment

Hi Michael, I have stared at this photo for ages but I cannot make out anything. The problem with the the trade badge theory is the size of the badge (too large) and wrong position on the sleeve. I don't know what it could be? It is not just a fault on the photo is it

I will have a look at the original photo next time I see my friend from our living history group as his late father is on this photo.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi again, Paul saying he could see a prop on this badge, got me thinking. How about the RASC waterborne semi offical badge/s as seen in Brian Davis book page 79? The position of wear would fit better than a conventional trade badge too.

Although the man in question wears a Parachute Regt cap badge and not an RASC one, this might be possible as we know attached men often wore the more "sexy" badge.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Could it be one of those old ww1 tank shaped badges? Rob.
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I would say this is trade patch. To me it looks like a white wreath.

The way that the fabric has fallen gives me the impression that we are looking on the patch from an angle.

If I was to take a wild guess I`d say it was a MG patch.............however the photo is not clear.

The positioning of the the badge on the arm to me would not suggest anything abnormal. Did the Kings Regulations for the poistioning of trade patches on the arm change during WW2?

If this was a soldier in WW1 wearing a qualification badge in that position I wouldnt have any problems.

Steve.

Comment

Hello guys,

I don't know about you but I was under the impression that Michael was referring to this badge?

Cheers, from Jack.
              PS. I don't know what it is but it's a cracking photo

Comment

So was I Jack.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Oh that patch . Looks like a 3 bladed propellor .Rob.
                  God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hiya , many thanks for your replies so far ....
                    sorry if my description was a bit misleading and the photo was not as clear as it should be ,
                    i have checked again and can give a few more details , the badge i was on about is the large dark colour square worn on its axis below the airborne strip.
                    the original photo is very clear and there is nothing ( as far as i can tell ) embroidered on it ? the colour is much darker than the pegasus /airborne strip DARK BLUE / BLACK ? , i am sure its not a fault on the photo as i think i can see a darker shadow a long the bottom edges ,common when looking at photos of cloth badges , it appears cloth / felt as apposed to printed .The trade badge below looks to have the letters S.B or may be S.P if this has any link ?/ stretcher bearer or special proficiency are two that make sence but to be honest the trade patch special proficiency i aint got a clue what that represents ?? ,
                    many thanks ,will put some more on tonight ,Michael.

Comment

Hi Michael, thanks for that

The "SP" badge was granted for personnel who had gained extra pay for being skilled in a trade. That would fit in with him wearing the RASC waterborne transport patch in my opinion?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

HIYA ADE ,
                        had a look at the badge in B.L.D `s book it may well fit but the badge in the photo i have is square worn on the tilt /diamond shape , it may be your badge but cut to a different shape ? if hes the only one in the unit ,maybe no one else knows he is breaking regulations ??
                        keep the ideas coming ,Michael.

Comment

Hi Michael,
                          Great picture!
                          The only thing that comes to mind apart from Ade's suggestion is a tartan patch.
                          A bit farfetched maybe and certainly breaking regulations! But that was not entirely uncommon with the airborne forces I believe.
                          Cheers, Luc

Comment

[ Hi there ,
                            NOW THEN ..that sir is an interesting idea !!!
                            many thanks ,Michael.

Comment

What a relief Michael, for a minute I thought it would sound like a cunning plan from Baldric!

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X