Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two british cap badges-Y & L

Hi
    I would appreciate your comments on the attached York & Lancaster badges. The badges have many differences and it has always been my opinion that the first badge with the long slider is original and the other with the cut off slider is a copy. One strange think about the first badge is that it is maker marked on the INSIDE of the slider. This reads STRATTON BIRMINGHAM. Has anyone else come across markings of this nature?
    Sorry about the camera flash. If anyone has this badge that they know is 100% original I would appreciate a picture
    Regards
    Andy
    Attached Files

2nd badge-cut off slider

2nd badge-cut off slider
    Attached Files

Comment

rear of both badges

rear of both badges
      Attached Files

Comment

strange place for a maker mark?

strange place for a maker mark?
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Andy ,
          thanks for showing , the maker mark on the back of the slider is interesting ??
          not seen that before ? just a wild idea.... any chance its been broke off and re fixed the `wrong ` way at some time ?
          regards ,Michael.

Comment

Hi
            I did look at this very closely. Slider looks good and no signs of being replaced?
            Regards
            Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,
              The undamaged slider badge looks to be 100% genuine as there appears to be a sweat hole to the crown which is always a good sign. I would say the other is too, not a maker I know of but looks very well made with high quality metals and the slider if complete would probably be the longer of the two. Is there a sweat hole to this badge towards the centre of the rose. On my example there is a large one in this location, plus two smaller ones to the crown.
              Keith

Comment

Firstly let me welcome Keith to the forum and look forward to seeing some of his nice collection posted here.

I agree with his opinion of the badges shown, here's one from my thread showing all the infantry badges.
                There is a difference in the leaves. Any comments?
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Keith
                  there are three sweat holes on this badge. The largest above the slider which is behind the crown. The other two smaller ones are either side behind the rose. The maker Stratton Birmingham is shown on the INSIDE of the slider. Not a maker I have come across before.
                  Regards
                  andy

Comment

Hi Andy,
                    So many variations out there. Begs to ask the question why so very few of the 70's restrikes don't feature sweat holes despite supposedly using the original dies?
                    The maker and inside slider stamping are certainly unique to me. I'm only aware of one book 'Discovering British Military Badges and Buttons" -R.J.Wilkinson-Latham, Shire Books which attempts to lists some badge makers but is far from conclusive.

Keith

Comment

Here's one I have that has a hole behind the rose but no holes behind the crown. Shorter slider than the others, don't know if that's a bad thing or not.
                      Tim
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Tim L.; 12-19-2004, 01:31 AM.

Comment

No ones posted the sand cast WW1 variation manufactured in Egypt by a few of the Battalions that were there.

Gotta catch em all!!!

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X