Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Loyal Service, boxed badge!

Hi all,
    Is this a WW2 British "wound badge"? Was it worn on civilian clothes if the soldier had been discharged because of wounds??

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Simon Saffin............is this the type of badge you spoke about in another thread, that your Nan received after your Grandad's death??
    Attached Files

badge
    Attached Files

Comment

reverse,buttonhole fixing.
      Attached Files

Comment

A WW2 British discharge badge......hard to find with box.

Now all you need is the issue certificate to complete the set.

I have my grandfathers somewhere......I may post a scan if I can find it.

Steve.

Comment

its the buttonhole version of the silver war badge. - nicely boxed!! you can find some brief info below

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad8.htm

Cheers!

Comment

Cheers for the info guys!

So this is the WW2 version of the WW1 silver war badge?....were the WW2 versions always un-numbered?

Cheers

Dave

Comment

WW2 issues are never numbered....which is a shame for collectors!.

The badge on its own is worth 3 - 4 British........despite what the Medal Yearbook quotes. They appear to be pretty common at fairs.

Steve.

Comment

Brooch backed for Women. Not all that common.

The King's Badge issued during World War II was designed by Mr. Percy Metcalfe. It was felt that the design should be distinctly different to the previous First World War badge. The words "FOR LOYAL SERVICE" round the outside of the badge were suggested by Sir Alexander Hardinge, Private Secretary to His Majesty King George VI.

The final badge was produced in German silver during November 1940. It is a solid one inch diameter circular badge with the Royal Cypher "GRI" ensigned by the Tudor Crown in the centre and the words FOR LOYAL SERVICE X round the outside, there is a small orb at the base of the circle. Fixing was by a small lapel stud, although a number were produced with a brooch fastening for issue to members of the Women's Services.

Although announced in May 1941 initial issue did not begin until November. The badge was to be issued to all those invalided out of the Services through pensionable war injury. In addition to the members of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force, it was also issued to members of the Merchant Navy, Fishing Fleets, the Pilotage and Light Vessel Services, and the Naval Auxiliary. The administration and issue of the badge was under taken by the Ministry of Pensions, with each badge being sent to the recipient in a small cardboard box by registered post, accompanied by an explanatory letter and tear off receipt.

Comment

The award slip is ultra rare......I bet not many of us on forum have one.....not many of the vets themselves retained them. Of course once the award slip is with the badge you have something that is directly attributable to one man or women.

As promised ....

Comment

Thanks for the info Marc! Nice award slip Steve,I am now going to try and find one to go with my badge.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X