Enameled medal with 1837-1887 bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enameled medal with 1837-1887 bar

My guess is that this is a jubille medal for India, but I can't find a positive ID.

It is silver gilt that should clean up nicely if so desired. Ribbon is a pale blue watered silk with some fading and stains.

reverse

Comment

entire medal

Comment

bar obverse

Comment

Reverse of bar. So what exactly is this thing? Thanks!

Comment

Hmmm, a curiosity indeed. The 21st of June 1887 was Vicky's 'big 50' - her Golden Jubilee - and this is clearly commemorating this event. What is odd is the PoW's feathers & inscription on the reverse. The medal looks Masonic (the brooch pin is a giveaway), so I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that this is a lodge-specific medal from India. As the Prince of Wales did not visit India in that year, maybe the lodge was connected to the future Edward VII in some way? Whatever, it's a very nice gong indeed. I'm not a fan of masonic tat, but this baby really floats mon bateau!

Comment

Thanks very much for the input, kind Sir!

Masonic, huh? Hmmmmm..........thanks for the clue! If I am able to ID it, I'll post the relevant facts.

best,

e~

Comment

I think Tony's on the right track with this one. The type of Crown and Cypher are most closely connected to India (though some Canadian (and presumably other colonial) badges also used this type of crown).

The construction and quality of the item also look "masonic" to me. There are innumerable examples of souvenir medals/medallions for the occasion but this one seems to be more significant.

Isn't there a book on masonic medals that might point us in the right direction and possibly with a definite ID?

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X