Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unidentified hat. Victorian??

Guys,
    Here is an odd pillbox type hat. Looks to be a victorian era piece. Green wool with gold bullion embroidery, badge and tape. I don't have a clue . Anyone with any ideas?

Garth
    Attached Files

Side view
    Attached Files

Comment

Top view
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Garth,

It shows a tiara and crossed keys, the symbols of the Vatican. I've briefly browsed their site (www.vatican.va) to see if your hat was part of the uniform of the Swiss guards, but no result.
        Great item by the way!
        Cheers, Luc

Comment

Looks Brit, I'm thinking non military or at least non regular military.

Comment

I think it's an undress cap for one of the Vatican Papal Orders - which one I don't know. Like British orders, there's a uniform that goes with them, mantle, cocked hat etc. The Vatican uniforms are very militaristic in nature. There's one in the Manchester United Museum at Old Trafford (of all places), which belonged to Matt Busby. That too has green trim & facings, so I think that this cap is something to do with one of the Orders. Quite a rarity I'd say.

Comment

It could be the cocked hat influenced by the French revolution as described on http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/sw.../divisa_en.htmLuc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X