Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British AA cap badges

Hi
    I have had these in my collection for some time and always believed that they were WW1 period. I have tried to research them without any joy. I cannot find any reference to them in the standard books such as K&k or Gaylors.
    One I think one is a cap and one a collar badge.Does anyone have any ideas.
    These badges are different to the AA badge I think is later issue as shown in the last two pics.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Andy
    Attached Files

the backs

the backs
    Attached Files

Comment

next pick

I think this is WW2 or later
      Attached Files

Comment

the rear

the rear
        Attached Files

Comment

As the double AA stands for "AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION" you may wish to write to them. I am sure a web site for the AA can be found.

"A group of motoring enthusiasts met at the Trocadero restaurant in London's West End on 29 June 1905 to form the Automobile Association (the AA) – a body initially intended to help motorists avoid police speed traps. As motoring became more popular, so did we – the AA's 100 members in 1905 grew to 83,000 by 1914 . As AA membership expanded, so did our activities."

From the History of the AA. No mention of war service.
          Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 12-11-2004, 04:25 PM. Reason: Add information

Comment

I think there is some confusion here. The WW1 unit is the "Automobile Club" or sometimes the "Royal Automobile Club". I believe there was an article published in the Medal News not many issues ago regarding this unit.

Steve.

Comment

Many thanks

will look back through my copies but I cannot remember seeing such an article. Have you any knowledge of the badges shown

Thanks

andy

Comment

Just a though. did the AA perhaps supply drivers to the forces?

Andy

Comment

Hi there!
                  The left one is a Cap Badge and the right one is a shoulder Title.
                  I don't think that an automobile club has shoulder Titles.
                  BR
                  Nicholas

Comment

The issue which details the Royal Automobile Club is August 2004, Page 31.

These men wore Army uniforms with no ID other than a brassard on the left arm bearing a large RAC badge.

I am sorry to say I am unaware of any other automobile volunteer unit during the Great war.

Steve.

Comment

Thanks Steve

I will dig out the issue and have a read. I will also write to the AA to see what I can find out
                      Thanks for all your input
                      Regards
                      Andy

Comment

You may find that these are World War 2, badges.

I did not think to look in the Shires.
                        Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 12-12-2004, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Hi
                          Many thanks to you all for your input. I think I might of answered my own question.

Taken from 'The AA History,Badges and Memorabilia' by Michael Passmore - A Shire Book.

Page 35/36

There is an extremely rare cap badge with matching collar badges for the AA Voluntary Service Corps. This Corps was set up in the First World war when AA Members provided their cars - and chauffeurs - for service with the War Office on courier and other duties, providing drivers with insignia to show they were on 'Active Duty'. The cap badge is a normal winged badge with a scroll bearing the title underneath, while the collar badge is a smaller winged badge with the letters 'VSC' underneath.
                          Regards
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                            The issue which details the Royal Automobile Club is August 2004, Page 31.

These men wore Army uniforms with no ID other than a brassard on the left arm bearing a large RAC badge.

I am sorry to say I am unaware of any other automobile volunteer unit during the Great war.

Steve.
                            There was a miltary volunteer motor reserve - I can't for the life of me remember their proper title - I've got a nice old original photo of a group of them somewhere, taken about 1913 - dark green uniforms, complete with swords. They had a kind of gilt arrow & scroll badge.
                            There's an illustration of them in one of those little Blandford "Uniforms of......" series of hardbacks of the 1970's.
                            Also there were the various voluntary ambulance driving organisations & the like, including ladies who drove staff cars etc during WWI.

Comment

From the AA.
                              On Sept 21 1914, Stenson Cooke (AA Secretary) formed two Battalions that became the AA patrol's and 8th (cyclist) battalion of the Essex Regiment.
                              The majority of their work appeared to be operating the ambulances which in most part were converted members' cars. All the AA scouts of military age were encouraged to enlist and as some of them were old soldiers they returned to their former regiments. But as the AA patrols had special training in mechanics and first aid, the majority of them were transferred to the army en-bloc to the Essex regiment.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X