Opinions on RAF wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on RAF wings

My main interest is United States aviation, and these are the only non-U.S. items in my small collection. Could anyone please give opinions about the vintage of these wings? I am especially interested in the navigator wings. I believe this same design is used for present day navigators. How can you tell the difference between a recent brevet and a World War II one?

Dennis
    Attached Files

Back view.
    Attached Files

Comment

Front close up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Rear closeup.
        Attached Files

Comment

The navigator brevet.
          Attached Files

Comment

Rear view.
            Attached Files

Comment

Closeup #1.
              Attached Files

Comment

Last photo.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dennis!
                  The Aviator is a handmade, padded ww2 patch with King's Crown (used up to 1952). The Navigator is a current issue unpadded machinemade type.
                  For an old one it must be padded .
                  If you're interrested in more patches, please let me know.
                  BR
                  Nicholas

Comment

The pilot wing scares me a little actually! Looks to me that it is a fake Paki made one! Sorry, just my opinion

The navigator wing looks like it could be a WW2 era one. They were made flat, slight padded and fully padded in WW2.

Cheers, from Jack

Comment

I agree with Jack. I just went through Eagles Recalled by Carroll to confirm my suspicions. The pilots brevet resembles a mid 1930's variant, but the 'flash' (the excess material) around the embroidery is too large. Also the stitching is slightly different. Jack is correct on the navigator brevet as well. I think it's good.

Gary
                      Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
                      The pilot wing scares me a little actually! Looks to me that it is a fake Paki made one! Sorry, just my opinion

The navigator wing looks like it could be a WW2 era one. They were made flat, slight padded and fully padded in WW2.

Cheers, from Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain
                        I agree with Jack. I just went through Eagles Recalled by Carroll to confirm my suspicions. The pilots brevet resembles a mid 1930's variant, but the 'flash' (the excess material) around the embroidery is too large. Also the stitching is slightly different. Jack is correct on the navigator brevet as well. I think it's good.
                        Gary
                        I agree that the Navigator half wing is post WWII, but am of the opinion that the RAF pilot's brevet is good. It does not conform to the manufacturing style of the Pakis. Paki made wings are also usually made more of a string-like material (not as "fuzzy").
                        If you aren't comfortable with it, I'd buy it.
                        Allan

Comment

Hi Allan,
                          Paki's aren't the only people faking these. The WWII and earlier brevets were much 'tighter' as regards the leftover material around the embroidery itself. It does indeed look good, but it conforms to no known pattern of the era.

Gary

Originally posted by Allan H.
                          I agree that the Navigator half wing is post WWII, but am of the opinion that the RAF pilot's brevet is good. It does not conform to the manufacturing style of the Pakis. Paki made wings are also usually made more of a string-like material (not as "fuzzy").
                          If you aren't comfortable with it, I'd buy it.
                          Allan

Comment

Thanks to all for the information. I was a little surprised at the wide range of opinions on these!

I have very little experience with British militaria, but I tend to think that these are OK. I got them a few years ago at the Show of Shows from one of the regulars who deals in British and Canadian items. He took time to explain things to me and pointed out some of his items that might not be good. Also, he claimed that he had contributed many of the photos in Eagles Recalled. I looked through the book later, and his name was there in the Acknowlegments section.

It's still not clear to me about what to look for to tell the good from the bad.

Dennis

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X