Help needed on 2 RAAF Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed on 2 RAAF Groups

Hi everybody,I have just picked up 2 interesting groups and need some info (help).
    1st group to a RAAF guy who was ground crew with No2 Sqd based in new Guinea 2 days before the war ended they were moving there base and 6 Mitchell Bombers with 10 people including my chap went missing no trace found.has any body got the Unit history on this Sqd.
    2nd is an RAAF P/O S.G.De Vis flying with 77 Sqd halifax rest of crew where RAF there target was Witten in germany plane was shot down 19.3.45 crew baled out were captured then shot (executed) within hours of capture.The German officer LT Karl Schafer was given 15 yrs prison 1 other guy escaped 1 guy was shot after being brought to trial by the Germans.Does any body have further info or know where I can get some via the Internet for both cases.
    Cheers JACK (Rob)

In case you don’t have this already here is what the Aussie nominal roll web sight has on De Vis:

Service Record
    name DE VIS, SELWYN GEORGE
    service Royal Australian Air Force
    service number 423449
    date of birth 11 Jul 1923
    place of birth BRISBANE, QLD
    date of enlistment 30 Jun 1942
    address on enlistment unknown
    place of enlistment SYDNEY, NSW
    next of kin DE VIS, HAZEL
    date of death 19 Mar 1945
    rank Pilot Officer

unit 77 Squadron

honour/gallantry None for Display
    pow No

roll of honour unknown

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au

You can also make a request to the Aus National Archives to get digital copies of both your chaps service records. From what I understand it doesn’t cost anything to get a digital copy of the service file and the quality is good enough to print off.

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection...s/ww2/ww2.html

Cheers
    Chris

Comment

;

Thanks Chris I have all that info plus his file from the RAAF.But they only list him as KIA Iam trying to find info regarding him being shot with the other crew members and the trial of the men accused of killing them??Like the other group they are all listed as MIA but Iam trying to find out how 6 planes could go missing at the one time when it was not a combat flight just moving base?? I seem to hit alot of brick walls trying o research these 2 groups that why iam asking if others members might have info thats not available here or maybe on the net.
      Cheers Jack

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X