Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British buttons

I picked up a motherload of buttons today, some loose, some card mounted
    and i dont have a clue, they were free in return for a favor.

can anyone help with and ID or possible age or point me towards a reference?.

I have scanned a few.

Thank you so much!

Craig

button1

button 2

button 2

Comment

button 3

button 3

Comment

button 4

button 4

Comment

button 5

button 5

Comment

button 6

button 6

Comment

last one button 7

last one button 7

Comment

Northamptonshire Reg.

Hello,
                Button No.2 is the Northamptonshire Regiment, ... which was absorbed into the Royal Anglian Regiment.

..By the looks of the Button, I would say it is probably 1930's.
                (If I remember right, regimental Brass buttons tended to disappear in the early 1940's, ... although ceremonial "stay-brights" and some specific regiments i.e Para's ... still have their own, ...).

Gary J.

Comment

Hi Craig, numbers 1, 5, 6, and 7 are actually named to the Regts They are:

The Queens Own Worcester Hussars.
                  http://www.regiments.org/regiments/u...v/worcestr.htm

The Gordon Highlanders.
                  http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/

The Scottish Horse
                  http://www.btinternet.com/~james.mckay/yeoman07.htm

The East Surrey Regt.
                  http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/031ESurr.htm

Cheers, Ade.
                  Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 12-06-2004, 05:45 PM. Reason: Links added

Comment

HI CRAIG ,
                    I have no idea if you collect to this area but dont `write `erm of as junk `
                    there are many collectors out there for these items and the do have a value !!
                    regards ,Michael.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, nahhh i know they are not junk from collecting buttons as a nipper, i have infact sold a few to another forum member already.. i have loads of these to go thro, when i get sorted i do want a few cards for display and te rest ill prolly sell on.

Cheers

Craig

Comment

I keep losing track of the photos.
                        I have'nt got a reference to hand, but off the top of my head;
                        3 is East Lancs or Manchesters, 4 Sussex Yeomanrey.
                        Is 2 Norhants? - I'm thinking more along the lines of the Dorsets, but I'm having a senior moment re these. Those with crowns in the design are showing the pre c1952 ish King's Crown.
                        It's hard to tell, but they all look like other ranks brass buttons, rather than officer's gilt.
                        The infantry other ranks regained their regimental pattern buttons instead of the GS pattern about 1924, they continue in use, ammended by amalgamations, anodised began to replace metal about 1952.

Comment

Dorsets

.Leigh,
                          It looks like you are right ... No.2 is "more" Dorset's than Northamptonshire.
                          ..I was looking at the Gibralter "castle", whereas the Dorsets have the Sphnix as well ...

Well spotted !!

Gary J.

Is 2 Norhants? - I'm thinking more along the lines of the Dorsets, but I'm having a senior moment re these. Those with crowns in the design are showing the pre c1952 ish King's Crown.

Comment

I think we need a size for No2 and No3, perhaps they are cap buttons or even produced for wear by civilian staff.

The Dorsetshire Regiment tunic buttons post Cardwell came only in the form attached. Regimental castle and standardised castle. It certainly seems based on the Dorsetshire button.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Jim Maclean; 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean
                              I think we need a size for No2 and No3, perhaps they are cap buttons or even produced for wear by civilian staff.

The Dorsetshire Regiment tunic buttons post Cardwell came only in the form attached. Regimental castle and standardised castle. It certainly seems based on the Dorsetshire button.
                              I must admit, I was wondering whether a couple of these were officer's cap buttons or even mess dress (possibility of mess waiters or blazer buttons too, but I don't think that these are). I'd go along with the castle & sphinx button possibly being a Dorset's cap button.
                              By coincidence, I picked up a couple of vehicle loads of my possessions from the ex the day before yesterday (about 10 years overdue), & still sitting in the car are - about 1,000 British army buttons.
                              I'd better start sorting them out along with the books, the busbies, bits of uniform & all the other stuff.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X