Army Film and Photographic Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Film and Photographic Unit

I invite the jury for opinions on this one please!

Thanks in advance, from Jack

Reverse.

Comment

Hi Jack, as you know this is a hard to find peice of insignia. My reservation would be the unusual cloth that it is printed on. I cannot say I have ever seen it before? I am not saying it is wrong, just different. That is enough to make me wary.

Is this one you have bought or just thinking of buying?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Jack,

I stick with Ade, it is a bit strange but I'm no expert.
        Reproductions are being made of this badge; I haven't got a picture of such repro so I can't compare, sorry!
        Cheers, Luc

Comment

Thanks for that Ade. I too thought the material was unusual and everytime I think of it it raises my suspicion. I bought this on the possibility it might be an original one but I really hadn't a clue. There is a plus side though because the collection of badges this was in were all original and I am 99% sure that there is a similar one in the Hartenstein! I have a photo somewhere hopefully Have you seen the one in there? It's on the wall by the SS insignia! Still, these two things mean nothing and the odds are stacked against it IMO.

Thanks, from Jack.

Comment

Hi Luc, thanks also!

I have seen some reproductions but these have been very obvious ones such as the Paki made ones sold by petehal1 etc. Have you seen any others?

Cheers!

Comment

Hi Jack, like you say if it came with all good stuff it tends to make you think it might be OK.. But of course it really makes no odds!

I can recall seeing one in the Hartenstien, but not the detail about it. Trouble is they do have some bad German stuff in there insignia wise.

Like Luc I am very familar with the ones that come from the Sub Continent. But not having seen any others like it is in it's favour, or any other badges done on the same type of cloth. As you know these things tend to hit the market in bulk.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                I can recall seeing one in the Hartenstein, but not the detail about it. Trouble is they do have some bad German stuff in there insignia wise.

Funny you should say that actually! I was thinking back a good few years ago now and in one of the display cases there were some badges that were obviously Paki fakes but they said they were given by a veteran who wore them during the battle!

This isn't the first time I've come across this either!!

Comment

Jack,

This one looks like a painted vs printed badge. Generally the painted badges were earlier pieces, usually on twill or cotton, and not very popular due to the fact they didn't survive well.. The material on this badge looks like wool and if I remember correctly this unit was formed up later in the war.
                  This one would give me pause.

Garth

Comment

I saw a pair of embroidered ones once on a battledress at an antiques fair ,I couldnt believe my luck ,but surprise surprise the seller had sold it allready .Rob.
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X