Denison, Para Smock, Old Pattern.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denison, Para Smock, Old Pattern.

Interesting find this morning, WW2 pattern smock, Denison, made by the firm James Smith, Derby. Ive done some internet searches and it seems Smith made a huge amount of clothing for the military and ive seen other examples of this smock but interestingly the ones ive seen are the ''sock'' cuff examples as would be expected for examples made in the 60's and 70's, this one has the late wartime pattern button cuffs and half zip Im wondering if anyone has any ideas when this one might have been made? or were they made for a specific reason?
    Attached Files

I should mention that the snaps have brass painted fronts and nickle backs, also appears to have had some sort of square patch to each arm, DZ flash?
    Attached Files

Comment

Repro isn't it ???

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
        Repro isn't it ???
        If your going to go thru all the trouble of producing a WW2 pattern item why use a postwar label? And as mentioned the snaps follow postwar construction being painted brass outers and nickle insides

Comment

Odd to see it sized as a medium, rather than size 7 or a string of numbers and /'s

Do you have the big book of denison smocks?

Comment

I am not an expert on these what so ever, looked at quite a few before I went to Arnhem, and obviously saw quite a few there also

Does the entire wording of the label not seem somewhat odd ??

Comment

Book on the Denison i do have, maker not in it, odd label, yes but this is how this maker seams to have done them, there are a few examples on the net of his ''para smock'' but as mentioned they are full zipped , sock cuffed ones.

Comment

The company were only in business from the early 1960's until the mid 80's when they went bust

Here is a picture of a label from a 1970's smock
                Attached Files

Comment

And heres one advertised, same pattern as mine, even down to the two row bottom poppers for the tail, exept with cuffs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My intentions in starting this thread was my interest in when/ why a firm working from the 60's to 80's would produce a smock during a time frame were the Denison/para smocks were full zip and sock cuffed variety . Its not a repro of a WW2 denison IMO, why produce one that will not fool anyone, nickle snaps, postwar label, two instead of 3 row front bottom tail poppers and a camo pattern which has that 70's colour and 70's pattern. Im wondering if perhaps the firm might have had a film contract or special military order, im interested in finding some more info

Comment

It is possible they were made for parade duties.
                      For garding the Royal Palace we use 80ies Parasmocks over our service dress trousers.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
                        My intentions in starting this thread was my interest in when/ why a firm working from the 60's to 80's would produce a smock during a time frame were the Denison/para smocks were full zip and sock cuffed variety . Its not a repro of a WW2 denison IMO, why produce one that will not fool anyone, nickle snaps, postwar label, two instead of 3 row front bottom tail poppers and a camo pattern which has that 70's colour and 70's pattern. Im wondering if perhaps the firm might have had a film contract or special military order, im interested in finding some more info
                        Perhaps they were not trying to fool anyone

I have a repro American paratrooper jacket with authentic label inside, its not meant to fool, just meant to be an authentic reproduction

I really don't know about this Denison

Comment

If it was produced during WW2 and it's a WW2 camo pattern, why would they call it "old pattern"?
                          WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                            If it was produced during WW2 and it's a WW2 camo pattern, why would they call it "old pattern"?
                            I dont think anyone mentioned it was a WW2 produced smock Gene

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
                              I dont think anyone mentioned it was a WW2 produced smock Gene
                              They are newly produced in the 60ies to 80ies and are called "Old pattern" (pattern of 1942); Simple as that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X