• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange ww2 british jacket id

can anyone tell me what this is and if it has a value
    its stampe WD /I\ with a date code p for 1941
    Attached Files

WWI machine gunners vest. I think the P is not the date code, during the earlier period is meant something else, either type of object or place of issue, I forget which. It does have a value but I have no idea what they go for.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I didn't realize it was so short, have seen one before somewhere, is there a possibility these were produced alongside the No1 field service jacket? making chance it could be from 41?

do you think it ever had a label,

Cheers

Comment

I'm assumeing that the leather sections were to prevent wear to the wool and the padded bits on the end of the shoulders was to prevent the weapon or strap from slideing off the shoulders

Comment

here is the stamp
            Attached Files

Comment

Can any tell me what the stamp means

Comment

WWI British/Canadians had a special vets or tunic for machine gunners [Lewis gun] to carry their weapons, with special shoulder pads and all. I suspect this is an equivalent item, perhaps for Bren gunners? Could be theatre made from a standard tunic. Very interesting piece!

Comment

You can tell from the stitching it's factory made not theatre adapted
                  If it was ww2 the p would date it to 1941-42??
                  But from a quick google search ,after bond identified it ,I am sure it's ww1

Comment

like the no1 service tunic which was in use till 60's or so, I see no reason this could not be ww2 dated

Comment

Hello John
                      I am reliable informed it dates from ww1
                      Now it could have still been in service during ww2
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                        Hello John
                        I am reliable informed it dates from ww1
                        Now it could have still been in service during ww2
                        Nick
                        nice item

Comment

HI , quite a lot of these turned up a good few years back they were every where at all the fairs , been sold as great war period , IF ...... my memory is correct they are post 1918 made the clue is the white edging round the arm pits , cant remember exact now .

Please confirm this as I may be thinking of sumat else

Comment

I have been told the jackets with white piping are ww1
                            I saw another at a fair a few weeks back which was made of a much flimsier material with no edging the seller said it was post 1918

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X