British War Department Inspector Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British War Department Inspector Pin

Anybody seen one of these? Know anything about the organization?

Thank you for any help you can give!
    Attached Files

It is what is says it is. An inspectors badge.

Most likely he or she was an inspector for Meat and Canned goods as Stockton had a large food processing plant in WWII most likely doing work for the Brits during the war.

Comment

I believe this little badge is from WW1, when the British War Dept sent its inspectors to Stockton, California to oversee the production of Holt tractors. These were used to haul field guns in the mud and muck of France.Canada sent inspectors too, as we used these types of tractors as well.

Holt tractors were considered one of the most important vehicles of the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Manufacturing_Company

As an FYI, the Brits sent their inspectors over to the source manufacturer's countries as it was found that there were too many errors being made in the production of everything from Ammunition to boots. The Americans and Canadians were huge sub contractors for the British war effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Kenwright View Post
        I believe this little badge is from WW1, when the British War Dept sent its inspectors to Stockton, California to oversee the production of Holt tractors. These were used to haul field guns in the mud and muck of France.Canada sent inspectors too, as we used these types of tractors as well.

Holt tractors were considered one of the most important vehicles of the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Manufacturing_Company

As an FYI, the Brits sent their inspectors over to the source manufacturer's countries as it was found that there were too many errors being made in the production of everything from Ammunition to boots. The Americans and Canadians were huge sub contractors for the British war effort.

Many thanks for the lead! I live around an hour and a half away from Stockton so I will head down there and see what I can dig up from the newspaper.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X