X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Lancaster Heading To England

Canada's last airworthy Lancaster to leave for U.K. tour
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadas-la...215631947.html

I live quite close to Hamilton and when that baby flies over you sure know it! Wonder what some of the old Germans think when they hear it? Quite a few living in the area including my parents. My Dad used to collect bomb fragments after a raid and I have a chunk that he kept all those years.

Wasn't there another Lancaster out in Alberta that was supposed to be restored?

Curt

Comment

Yes should be quite a sight when the 2 fly together. I currently work in the very same factory where the other Lanc was built in May 1945

Comment

I had the chance to get in the one in YHM at the flying museum and its an amazing plane. I have seen the one in Duxford airshow in 2009 and to see the two last in flying condition together would be amazing. Never heard one in Alberta to be restore doh!

Seb
        The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
        Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
        www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

It will be a beautiful sight and sound to watch them both flying together.

Here is a picture of our old Lanc PA474 ( left Broughton Factory May 45 ) flying over the beaches at Arromanches 6th June 2014 this year. I must admit it brought a tear to my eye.
          I had the pleasure of going inside this Lanc at the factory open day in 1996, it was very very cramped, how on earth anyone got out of one these in a hurry is beyond me !
          Attached Files

Comment

The front and rear turret gunners just had to clip on their chute then turn the turret to the side, open the doors behind their back then tumble out backwards. If the turret was jammed and couldn't rotate they had no way out

Comment

Originally posted by pzrwest View Post
              The front and rear turret gunners just had to clip on their chute then turn the turret to the side, open the doors behind their back then tumble out backwards. If the turret was jammed and couldn't rotate they had no way out
              Sounds simple doesn't it, imagine doing it if the plane was tumbling down out of control or in a steep dive, brave brave men, I really do not know how they did it !

Comment

I heard about this one flying to the UK also, there was an auction for a place on the trip, that would be something, I think a trip around the airfield would do me, I think its 2000$

The other Lanc that was looking to be restored was on display in Windsor (outside) I believe they have engines running, but I don't think its airworthy, or at least the one a relative was roped into looking over for some welding work was not airworthy.

I have seen this Lancaster over Toronto a few times always low ! and always doing a nice banking turn ~!

Comment

Originally posted by grndevil44 View Post
                  I heard about this one flying to the UK also, there was an auction for a place on the trip, that would be something, I think a trip around the airfield would do me, I think its 2000$

The other Lanc that was looking to be restored was on display in Windsor (outside) I believe they have engines running, but I don't think its airworthy, or at least the one a relative was roped into looking over for some welding work was not airworthy.

I have seen this Lancaster over Toronto a few times always low ! and always doing a nice banking turn ~!
                  Here is a news paper article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tual-home.html

Comment

I am gutted !

I am meant to be attending the Bournemouth Air Festival tomorrow specifically to see the 2 Lanc's and the Canadian Lanc is broken

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28981916

Comment

Thanks for the heads up I was going down to go to see the pair flying together.

Gareth

Comment

Just out riding west of Ottawa when the Mynarski Lanc fly over at about 1000 feet.

Didn't even know that it was fixed and on the way home!

Mike

Comment

"I had the pleasure of going inside this Lanc at the factory open day in 1996, it was very very cramped, how on earth anyone got out of one these in a hurry is beyond me ! "

I believe the survival rate when a lancaster was shot down was less then 10%, so most men never did make it out.

Comment

I am originally from Buffalo NY, and I still remember clearly the day back in 91 when I was outside in front our house in Amherst and I heard a very unusual sounding aircraft approaching overhead.
                            I then saw this very Lanc appear over the tree tops at what could not have been more that 1000 feet up, apparently having taken off from Buffalo International and heading back to Hamilton.
                            It was "dog tailing" its way and once you have hear a Lanc, you will never forget it!

CB

Comment

Thought I would post this picture, not the best sorry.

Its Lancaster PA474, flying directly over the factory where she was built in 1945, now owned by Airbus, Broughton, Near Chester, North Wales, where I grew up and am currently working. The factory celebrated its 75th year last year, originally being built in 1939 for Vickers Armstrong, mainly for Wellington Bomber production.
                              Interestingly, the main internal construction of the factory was also designed by Barnes Wallace, and uses a similar geodesic design.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X