WW2 Service Number Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Service Number Question

Chaps: I have a question regarding my Grandfather's service number for WW2. As many of you know, he served with The Queen's and retired shortly before the outbreak of WW2. His service number up until then had been L/8846 (the L prefix being added during the First World War). I was just checking something and noticed that on his CWGC entry, his service number is listed as S/6076192, RASC. Now, I know that he volunteered for active service on the outbreak of the war and he became the RSM of an RASC training depot. He died a few months later in January, 1940 (he was in his early 50's and his health had not been good). From a previous thread I believe that Pete (MerchantSeaman) told me that 607 numbers were for the Queen's Royal Regiment for WW2. So, my question is - if my Grandfather was with the RASC for those first few months of the war 1)why would he have that service number? Is it because of his previous service with The Queen's? and 2)What does the "S" prefix designate?

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Not my area of expertise here, but 6076192 is an early allotment for the Queen's and the S prefix may indicate Supplementry Reserve. After he left the Queen's he may well have gone on to the SR list. The Supplementary Reserve (1924-48) were formerly the Special Reserve (1908-24), and prior to that the Militia. Hence the usage of the S prefix.
    Last edited by Tony Farrell; 11-26-2004, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that, Tony - it seems like a good explanation.

Comment

Queens were allocated 6076001 - 6132000, so he was an early number in that block.
        "S" was a the prefix for RASC Supply ("T" being the other RASC prefix, for Transport). If a man transferred across into the RASC or re-enlisted into the army as RASC he kept his old number but with the "S" or "T" prefix added (the actual RASC numbers allocation was 1 - 294000).
        If an ex-regular, Territorial Army or Special Reserve man re-enlisted in the army he was supposed to keep his old pre WWII number & it stayed with him through any subsequent changes of unit, if a man was deemed to have been enlisted into the militia under the Military Training Act of 1939 his old number was replaced with a new number.
        Looks like grandad went from the Queen's to the RASC Supply branch & thus the "S" prefix.
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 11-27-2004, 01:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the "T"'s.

Comment

I thought that initially, and then changed my mind to the (more sensible - and incorrect) SR option. The more I thought, it just seemed silly having a joint Queen's number with an RASC supply prefix. Looks like I was right first time. Doh! Bloody army admin!

Comment

I'm still baffled, but I'm assuming that grandad got issued his Queen's number prior to leaving the army & rejoining, going in to the RASC? Or did he rejoin, get his new Queen's number, & then transfer to RASC.Special Reserve, Militia etc are a complete mystery to me. I'm confusing myself.

Comment

Leigh and Tony: thanks very much for your answers.

Leigh: I'm a bit confused too and am trying to sort through this. I know that he left the Regular Army in 1932ish as an RSM but immediately became the CSM of one of the Queen's territorial Companies in the 5th (I think) battalion. He went "down" to CSM as the CO's and RSM's were all regulars no matter what the battalion. He left the territorials in 1938 to be fully retired. At the outbreak of the war he was asked to come back to service. I'm not sure when he would have received his new number - I'm wondering if that when he came back to service in '39 they issued him a 607 number before figuring out what to do with him. In other words maybe they signed him up with the Queen's as it was convenient and then realized that his health wouldn't permit him to remain with the line infantry. As I mentioned previously he was posted as an RSM to an RASC depot (I assumed training depot - but with the S prefix maybe it was a supply depot). Do you know when they started issuing the 607 numbers? I had assumed - even with his transfer to the territorials in the early 30's he would have kept his 8846 number that he's had since 1906...

I'm still trying to untangle this - I appreciate the help I'm getting!

Comment

I don't know when the 607 series came in, it would be very useful to know.
                When grandad transferred across to RASC, OiC RASC Records would've instructed your grandads CO as to which prefix letter was to be added to his number. I don't know how the regular & the TA numbers ran, but perhaps the 607 number was issued after joining the TA, although it seems unlikely that the mistake of issuing a new number to a WOII would've been made (My regular army number was issued to me by mistake in the 70's, as I already had a TA one, & the UN mistakenly issued me a new UN no. last year when I reappeared in a different Mission although I already had one from 1999 - these things happen).
                If he re-enlisted for WWII then perhaps that meant that he was "deemed to have been enlisted in the militia under the Militia training Act of 1939" & was therefore correctly issued with a new number, as per "Regs for the Militia (other than Special Reserve) 1939".
                Perhaps he received an "S" prefix as he was'nt "Transport" & everything else came under the general heading of "Supply"?

Comment

Leigh, I'd forgotten about this thread - thanks for that last answer - all the info you've provided is quite interesting and useful - and appreciated!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X