Royal Navy - Service Records...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Navy - Service Records...?

Looking for help from anyone who has experience in looking up Royal Navy Records.

I am attempting to look up a relative's Royal Navy service records but not sure what website in the UK offers these and if they require payment etc...

The only information I know at this point is;

Name : Thomas Johnstone (Royal Navy Gunner) and that he served on H.M.S Windsor in WW2, although not sure how long or at what point he was on this ship.

The Royal Navy unlike the other services gave the service record to the person when they left the service.

You will certainly not find anything on line but you can write into the RN Disclosure Cell in Portsmouth, you can find their full address on line. However you need to fill in lots of forms etc to prove yyou are a relative or have permission of the next of kin to access the details.

Comment

Originally posted by lyness View Post
      The Royal Navy unlike the other services gave the service record to the person when they left the service.

You will certainly not find anything on line but you can write into the RN Disclosure Cell in Portsmouth, you can find their full address on line. However you need to fill in lots of forms etc to prove yyou are a relative or have permission of the next of kin to access the details.
      Does this include men who stayed in the Navy well into the 1950's....?

I know that he was as I also have a photo of him in Malta in the 50's as a lieutenant.

Comment

Not sure about Officers, though my uncle who was a Petty Officer also left in the 1950's and my cousin has hs service papers.

But again if you want any more details you will have to write to the RN in Portsmouth.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X