WW1 Canadian Swagger Stick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Canadian Swagger Stick.

Hi all. I've come into possession of the above and as I collect edged weapons my knowledge of this collecting area is nil.
    It has C.E.F. 225 and Kootenay Battalion with a stags head on it and is 29 inches long. It also has a rifle bullet on the base(303?) which was probably added by the owner? I have done a quick research on the web but would appreciate any info re history and a collector's value.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The 225th, like most of the nigh numbered CEF unitts, recruited, sailed for England and was broken up, so this likely belonged to one of the original draft, possibly an officer though such sticks were very popular with all ranks for 'walking out'. It looks as if there may have been about 500 men in the unit.

These are hard to price, but I'd say $50.00 and up. Just a guess. A BC WWI collector might give you considerably more.

Below is the Wiki. potted history of the unit:
        The 225th Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Fernie, British Columbia, the unit began recruiting in early 1916 in Fernie, Cranbrook, Nelson, and Grand Forks. After sailing to England in January 1917, the battalion was absorbed into the 16th Reserve Battalion on February 6, 1917. The 225th Battalion, CEF had one Officer Commanding: Lieut-Col. J. MacKay

Comment

Thanks Peter, your input is much appreciated. It's nice to know I didn't pay over the odds.

Comment

Nice item, I know a few collectors who would be happy with this, is the top silver, looks like it, any hallmarks out of curiosity

Thanks

Comment

I'd say silver also. Locally people would pay 50-75 cdn here in BC.
              I had a nice 72nd one and couldn't get 50 for it.

Comment

Anything not a badge or medal can be tough to sell. I would have thought this one would do a little better than a 72nd Battalion based on rarity - the Seaforths served as a unit so must have had far more men serve between 1915 & 1918, while the 225th would only have had the one bunch. But collecotrs are an odd bunch!

Comment

Thanks to all for your comments. On first seeing it I thought it was silver but cant find a mark confirming this, so must assume it is silver plate with a nice patina. I really appreciate your contributions and enjoyed my first visit to this forum.

Comment

Come on back, Kiloh. Alway good to have new blood on the site!

Peter

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X