Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Forces Cap Badges - LRDG VForce etc

Good day gentlemen

Here are 4 special forces cap badges. The Commando is definitely a restrike: soft metal and very light.

The VForce ones I'm not so sure about. The brass one has the characteristics of an Indian made badge and so does the black one but are they period?

The LRDH badge looks good and feels good: well made, solid brass with a gilt wash and has some weight to it. But is it a good one?

Many thanks for your comments.

James
    Attached Files
    Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
    Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Commando badge - thin metal, bendy and light so a restrike for sure I believe
    Attached Files
    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges

Comment

the VForce badges

What do you think? Do either of them stand a chance? The slider on the brass one is a very typical Indian made style - thin and pointed.

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if either are period so what do you think?
      Attached Files

Comment

And lastly the LRDG badge

I think this may be good. Has weight, solid brass construction that isn't bendy and typical lugs east and west. It seems well made and there is evidence of a gilt wash. It looks die stamped rather than sand cast. The detail is crisp and clear. It is about 34mm or 1 3/8 inch in diameter.

So what do you think?

Many thanks for your advice and comments.

Regards

James
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd agree that tyhe V Force badges have the look of Indian made stuff - so unlikely to be original. All the 'elite force' badges are widely copied and have been for several decades, so very dodgy to get started collecting in.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Peter and totally agree about collecting special forces items. These came as part of a huge collection.

Does anyone have a genuine LRDG badge they could post for comparison?

Many thanks

James

Comment

Hi James, Im afraid I think the LRDG badge isnt right.... here is a picture of mine which is an original.
              Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim for sharing the photos of your badge. I think you are right. Mine isn't a good one. No problem win a few and loose a few

Thanks again

James

Comment

I don't own an original, but the LRDG badge is a copy. The segments on the body should be irregular and it should have a hollow under the body on the reverse as well as the other faults with it.

Never studied the others so can't comment on them.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Bond and Boyd. All very helpful and good learning for me.

All the best

James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X