Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Weight Uniform and Cap

Hi guys,
    This arrived today. Its a WWI summer weight tunic and cap, the seller says it belonged to an officer in the 73rd Northumberland Regiment.He replaced the cap badge with the one that is on it.
    The chin strap buttons look replaced so that leads me to question the originality of the strap. I was under the impression that WWI chin straps were thinner.
    I also have been trying to figure out the pattern of tunic that this is. Five button with scalloped top pockets and the lower pockets are the bellows style. Single pointed cuffs and the single pleated seam down the back. It has some features I've seen in Boer war era uniforms and some features from the Pattern 1912 but I've yet to get a definitive answer.
    I also have a question about the webbing, I've never seen the Y strap style before. Is this a private purchase style or something completely bogus?

I don't like it. The belt is an ORs pattern and I suspect the tunicis pre-war militia, but I'll have to check my books. The 'Y' strap is not one I recognize. There was a'Y' pattern Canadian strap set, the 'Oliver' pattern but it looks nothing like this one and ,again, the strapping is for an ORs kit, not an officer. Looks made-up for something to me.

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,
      You are right as a set it is made up. But the parts are authentic, except the y straps which I still haven't figured out. Some say they resemble parts from the McKenzie Equipment....which I have not found any reference to.

The cap is good, replaced cap badge and the chin strap is replaced as well.
      The belt is a pattern 1898 OR's belt, so doesn't belong to the set and the uniform is a pattern 1913 KD serge, authenticated by the guys over at the Great War Forum.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X