Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British research?

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me were I can get british medals researched?, I know it can be done, best of all an Internet address.
    I have recently been given my Grandfathers group from WW1 consisting of the 3 standard campaign and victory medals, but also a Military Medal and Bar and a DCM, all are marked with Name and Nr.
    Also in the group was a MBE from the same period, this however is unmarked, is this normal?.
    All replies appreciated.

Skip
    LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Research Service

Blimey! A DCM MM* group? That's one hell of a haul. The ol' chap must have been on a death wish! DCMs were not given out lightly. Was he mentioned in dispatches as well (as is usually the case with gallantry groups)?

Anyhow, give this chap a try. He's well affordable and I use him from time to time. Any chance of posting an image of this rather special group - and filling us in on who he was and what he was in?
    Research Service

Comment

... and gallantry medal holders were often rewarded with MBEs - usually later in life, so it's quite possible he was an MBE DCM MM*!

Comment

RE: Book

There is also an excellant book titled "Researching British Military Medals" by S. Dymond-available at amazon.com. Its' quite reasonable for the price and has a seres of professional researchers' addresses in the back.
        Cheers,
        JeMc

Comment

Hi Tony and Jeff,

Thanks for the infos, I,ve checked out the website and will be using it soon.
          Can´t show any pics yet as the medals are glued(yes glued) to a piece of wood in an old frame, as soon as I get them safely out I´ll do a scan.
          Tony, I used to visit Cambridge all the time,as a kid. I used to collect cartridge cases from Standford Training Area, and flog them in a little surplus shop down the road from the Station in Cambridge, with this money I bought my first III Reich badges from the same guy (all copies but I was only 14), does a little town by the name of Thetford mean anything to you?

Comment

I know that shop well!

I knew the shoppe well-I bought many and ARP helmet there for 50p and still have some Britsh Army issue sweaters I bought there in 1976! I also know Thetford well-I grewup in Newmarket!
            Cheers,
            JeMc
            p.s. Is the medal shop down near the bridge across from Castle Hill still there?

Comment

Hi Jeff,

What a small world it is. I don´t know if the medal shop is still there as i have´nt been back in 10 years, but as you mentioned it the memories came flooding back (sob).

Comment

Blimey, small world indeed. The little shop (Granta Stamp & Coin) moved a couple of doors up about 8 years ago. I know the proprietor (Alan Fordham) very well and he's branched out a little since when you knew his olde (quaint) shoppe on the bridge.

Oddly enough, it was the first shop I ever went in when I first arrived in Cambridge and he's done a hell of a lot of business out of me since.

Thetford? You mean Warmington-on-Sea? 'Cause that's where it was all filmed. "Don't panic Captain Mainwaring!" I know it (reasonably) well (inside of pubs etc).

Comment

Burwell,Saxon street,Ely

It was also filmed in Burwell, Reach ,bits of Ely and once out near Red Lodge-I know coz I watched them film when I was a kiddie!
                  I got my first QSA/KSA 7 bars (sgt. Suffolks) from Granta coins-for 40 pounds!
                  I used to get great photos from the market stalls.
                  Sigh sob
                  JeMc

Comment

Originally posted by skip
                    Hi Tony and Jeff,

I used to collect cartridge cases from Standford Training Area, and flog them in a little surplus shop down the road from the Station in Cambridge, with this money I bought my first III Reich badges from the same guy (all copies but I was only 14),
                    Came across this post while searching for a different thread - "Surplus Supplies" was the shop, Charlie & his mate. Picked up some Israeli badges, para berets etc for them from Israel about 1980, bought my first 2 (out of an extensive collection of 3) TR dagers there. Haunted that place & "Granta Stamps & Coins" when I was'nt loitering around Homerton College bar etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X