Comment

Hello
      thank you for your intervention
      South African helmeted
      has 3 holes on the cap?
      my no, only two rivets on the sides
      thanks

Comment

Looks to be a WW2 British Mk2 shell, but with a European post war liner. The 44 is not the date, that's a fake, the 57 is the size in centimetres.
        Paint work on shell is probably post war too.

Comment

Tinlid good evening
          I disagree, and a free-range finding ..... the liner and 'ok
          never removed, the stamps are not fake ..... be patient ....
          tell me if you want more photos
          thanks

Comment

I agree with Tinlid. The "57" represents the liner size in cm. This is a European trait, not a Commonwealth thing.

Comment

Hi all,

I have to agree with Tinlid that this looks like an original British Mk II shell, liner bolt and probably chin strap. But the overall look of the paint, with rust underneath, and the unusual liner make this almost definitely a postwar set up. For such a dirty liner the surface of the paint looks very clean - much more recent than everything else.

It sort of reminds me of some early postwar Israeli liners I have seen. Or it could be just a put-together piece trying to look South African. The 44 may not be a fake stamp but is unlikely to be the date (I have not seen a large 2-number date like this on any Commonwealth liner). I agree that the 57 is probably the size.

What is the white ink stamp in the last picture?

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by sicily1943 View Post
                Tinlid good evening
                I disagree, and a free-range finding ..... the liner and 'ok
                never removed, the stamps are not fake ..... be patient ....
                tell me if you want more photos
                thanks
                Why ask for opinions if you don't want them.

Post war liner for certain because of the already mentioned use of size in cm's. so messed with and quite likely to be post war re paint etc.

Comment

I agree with tinlid!!
                  Maybe used after the war by the greek army

Comment

Originally posted by men of valor View Post
                    I agree with tinlid!!
                    Maybe used after the war by the greek army
                    I also agree with tinlid, but that's definitely not a greek liner!

The Mk II helmets used by the Greek army during the first post war years had British (and other Commonwealth countries') liners. It is possible that their original liners were replaced with new ones before they were handed over to the Greeks, so that they would be more presentable, since the majority of them came from units who served in the N. Africa and Italy campaigns. But then again, they are always wartime dated (CCL made ones, 1945 dated are very common).

Later on, in the mid-50s, they were stripped, painted dark green and refurbished with the well known synthetic brown liners, copies of the british ones.

Best regards,
                    Giorgos

Comment

x Bond
                      not true that I do not accept the views
                      I just do not agree on something

xTubist73
                      I can not understand the words in white, looks like a P and 3 parallel lines

the shell and English, right?
                      the chinstrap is not always the type used by the British during the period 44/45?
                      57 and if a European measure, because there 's the year 44?
                      Can be a supply of the army of the allies in southern Italy?
                      thanks to all
                      no force, only questions

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well,
                            The South african mk2 our the so called jagerrand, was produced in S.africa. they have Dutch roots. Mayby thats why there is a European size in the liber?

Comment

That's certainly not a South African helmet. First, there are no holes on the rim. I do have a S. African helmet with a thick camo paint, which has filled the holes, but they are still visible. On that one, there's no sign of them. The chinstrap lugs are also different from the S. African ones, which are significantly larger. The liner pad might also be a copy of the early British or S. African pattern, but it's also not the same.

As I wrote before, I think that it is a British shell with a post war liner.

Best regards,
                              Giorgos

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X