Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Difference between WWII British & Canadian Medals

Hello:

Can someone please tell me if their is any other differences between WWII British "Star" Medals (i.e. Africa Star, Germany & France Star , Italy Star, etc) and their WWII Canadian counterparts, other then being unnamed?

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by John F.; 11-11-2004, 01:42 PM.

Actually, John, Canadian campaign stars are unnamed as well so there's really no differences. The main difference between Brit and Canadian WW2 medals is that Canadian issued Defence and War medals are silver as opposed to cupro-nickel. Also, Canadian veterans have an additional medal entitlement which is the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal. For overseas service there will be a clasp with a maple leaf on the ribbon.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Geoff:

It helped a lot... thanks!

Best,
      John

Comment

Actually....there is one slight difference with some stars. Occasionally one encounters WWII Stars (I have only seen 1939-45 and France and Germany Stars like this mind you) that are quite "domed" in the central circular part where the Royal Cypher is.

Apparently these were made in/for (not sure of the exact details) Canada/Canadians but problems in the die process led to this type of medal being issued only in small numbers. I have one F&G star like this. Supposedly they were the earliest type minted.

Other than that Geoff is absolutely right...the WWII Medals were issued in .800 silver while the CVSM is .925.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

That's interesting to know Adam. Do these "dome-cyphered" stars, even though unnamed, command a premium over other stars?

Comment

Geoff,

Yes but I have a super deal for you! Only $1,000 for a F&G Star!

I think maybe a slight premium but overall I wouldn't say so...perhaps to a "type" collector it would be of interest. I actually got mine quite accidentally.

As a side note I've seen perfectly legitimate original groups with one star of the domed type and the other(s) the flatter examples...so it seems that the ones that were stuck okay were issued but not necessarily together.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the replies, interesting dialog. However, can you please explain or post a pic that shows the differences between a "domed vs flat" cyphered-stars.

John

Comment

Years ago I read that Canadian Stars were better finished than the British, that the Canadians refused the British ones. Mind you, this was from the same guy who stated that tailors mounting the British Stars ended up cutting their fingers to shreds because of the poor finish to the British products. Never having come across a Star that was remotely life threatening, I've always considered the bit about the tailors suffering to be a load of rubbish, but is there any truth to the Canadian Stars having a better finish?

Comment

Well, we have a bonefide WW2 vet and the world expert on WW2 Canadian medals here on the forum: Ed Tainton. Try PM'ing him. He'll know if anybody does.

Comment

There are certainly different variants of WWII Stars but I have not personally noticed a marked difference in the overall quality of the issues, just some variation on minor details. I'll go through what I have to see if I can pinpoint any "major" differences.

What would be helpful would be a litst of the original mints/manufacturers that made WWII Stars. I would not be suprised if a rather lot of different companies were given contracts considering the numbers of awards produced post-war.

I will try to get an image of the "domed" type star...but I use a scanner and not a digital camera so the differences may not be that apparent. Will try to get something up over the weekend.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Just to add a bit of a description, if you look at a WWII star (see the image at the top of this page for example) the circular portion in the centre which bears the Cypher...this portion of the medal is raised in a more pronounced convex or "dome" shape. Other examples are only very slightly domed, or essentially flat.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X