Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 RMLI cap badge fixings???

Hi guys,
    A friend of mine has a WW1 Royal Marines Light Infantry uniform; you can find pictures of it on his site:
    http://home.hetnet.nl/~elbro4/index.html, click "about me" then "my collection".
    The puzzling thing is that the cap has only 1 hole for fixing the badge, this suggests a slider fixing, not 2 lugs and split pin.
    I have never seen such a badge on the market before, so my question is: am I right about the slider, and could the reason for not turning up on the market simply be that it is a rare badge?
    Any help is appreciated!
    Cheers, Luc

Most british badges were produced with either type of fitting, there being no real significance in whether the badge had a slider or loops. Having said that, I've never seen a RMLI badge badge witha slider.

Comment

The only Royal Marine badge I've seen with a slider is a Labour Corps badge. It looks good but I'm far from convinced it's the real thing.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for your help sofar. The search continues!
        Cheers, Luc

Comment

I have'nt got anything on Brodericks to hand - the red patch would be the colour worn by "Royal" regiments, perhaps it was worn by a different unit? ( I can't make out the stamped details inside.

I'm wondering if the badge worn, if Royal Marines, was for one of the bands? I don't know much about theose badges, also wonder about the grenade badge of the Royal Marine Artillery, it just seems the sort that may have been produced with a slider.

Comment

The letters "PL" feature on the cap & the jacket, the serial number prefix for RMLI Plymouth battalion as well as RMA & Plymouth Armoured Car Section RNAS was "PLY".

One of the markings has "R.M.PL" - RM Plymouth or RM Police?
            The RM Engineers wore the RM collar badge as a cap badge, the RM Police wore the collar badge design but in white metal. I've never seen the RM Police badge, but noted that a cast version was offered for sale in a London dealers list in 1988, perhaps produced by the RMs using a local workshop, so who knows what fittins?

Comment

Thanks Leigh,

I'm meeting the owner next tuesday; I will discuss the Broderick cap then.
              Cheers, Luc

Comment

Guys, I was slightly wrong when I said the was one hole for fixing the badge onto the broderick cap, in fact it is a little loop fitted on the outside. I have discussed it with the owner, and he can't confirm other badges than the RMLI cap badge were used.

There is an item now for sale on eBay: item #2286011815 . It has a brooch pin fitting and seller claims this was often seen on WW1 officers badges.
                True or not?

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X