Silver Services Rendered Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Services Rendered Badge

Could anyone help with the details for this badge I picked up yesterday ?
    Thanks Gary
    Attached Files

It's a ww1 british wound badge

Comment

I believe that because it has no letter prefix it is an early British issue. Later on all the commonwealth countries had a letter or two prefix (Australia - A. New Zealand - NZ. South Africa - SA. .............) and Britain got a "B".

Comment

According to the roll on Ancestry it belonged to 7231 L Watts or the 3rd Royal West Kents, enlisted 5/5/16 and discharged 10/8/18 - discharge was due to wounds.

Alistair

Comment

Thanks Alistair, thats just what I was hoping for.
          Regards Gary

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
            It's a ww1 british wound badge
            To be pedantic, it's actually a Silver War Badge. During WW1 servicemen were discharged from service for a number of reasons including wounds, illness and so forth. So long as the reason for discharge was health related and due to war service, the badge was awarded.

It was to be worn in civilian dress only and was to help prevent those who had served and been discharged from being given the proverbial "White Feather".

A badge known as "The Wounded Stripe" was awarded to those wounded in action. It was a single brass vertical stripe to be worn on the lower part of the left sleeve. Officers wore a bullion wire version. It is not uncommon to see contemporary photos of men sporting 3 or more such stripes.

Comment

heres his MIC
              Attached Files

Comment

Once again gentlemen, thankyou for the replies, I guess then these are the brass wound stripes you are referring to, these all came with the Silver war badge.
                Regards Gary
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that's the other ranks wound stripe mentioned above.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X