HELP! Inkwell possibly belonging to a ship wrecked in ww1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Inkwell possibly belonging to a ship wrecked in ww1

Any help or ideas I can get concerning this inkwell would mean a lot.
    I picked it up recently at an online auction here in Sweden and I consider it it to be quite a find. I paid less than 10 euros or $15 for it.

It is made of hand cut glass and electro plated silver (EPNS) in a very common design for inkwells.
    The lid however is beautyfully decorated with the union jack and Nelson line flags, and the text "HIGHLAND SCOTT". Extremly well done and no doubt the work of a skilled craftsman.

I did some research online and came up with some information.

The shipowner was Nelson lines, I did not know this at first but I did some research on the flag.

I found a complete list of all ships in their fleet.
    http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/li...lsonLine.shtml

There is however no ship with the name Highland Scott, but there were two ships named Highland Scot, with just one t at the end.
    I suspect that it is just a mistake and that the maker of this inkwell is to blame.

The first Highland scot, originally named Spindrift, was built in 1888 and scrapped in 1909. Interestingly it was Nelson lines very first ship.

The second Highland scot was built in 1910 and then wrecked on Maricas Island, Brazil, 06/05/1918 in the last few months of the war.

I'm interested in all opinions, especially regarding which ship the inkhorn is more likely to belong. Any help appreciated!

Love at first sight!

In all honesty, it could be from either vessel, and may never have been at sea. It may have been given to the owners, or someone in the christening party. Very hard to say.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X