Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting family groups - double medal issues

Gents,

A local family has asked me to identify some medals they have belonging to family medals. Without knowing what they would be I said I would be happy to look them over and let them know what they had. What follows are 3 interesting sets of medals to 2 generations of their family. I thought some of you may be interested in seeing them...and seeing a rare instance of "double issued" medals.

The first group is to the father...his group is: 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star with "France & Germany" bar, Africa Star, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with "Overseas" clasp, WWII War Medal, Special Service Medal bar "NATO-OTAN", Geo. VI Canadian Forces Decoration, Malta George Cross Fiftieth Anniversary Commemorative Medal

Clearly a group to a widely-serving member of the Royal Canadian Navy. Of note the Africa Star, while not a rare medal in itself by any means, is actually quite scarce in Canadian groups with only 7,400 issued to Canadian recipients. The only scarcer WWII Star to Canadians being the Burma star with only 5,500 issued. RCN groups often do not include the Defence Medal so the recipient must have spent some time ashore somewhere, either in th UK...or perhaps in Malta, which brings me to the final medal.

The Malta GC Commemorative medal (MYB 342) was instituted in 1992. It was "sanctioned by the government of Malta to celebrateee the award of the George Cross by King George VI to the island for its heroic resistance to prolonged Axis attack during the Second World War. The medal has been awarded to surviving veterans who served in Malta in the armed forces and auxiliary services between 10 June 1940 and 8 September 1943." (MYB)

There are 2 strikings of this medal, the 2nd which was issued to vets who applied for the medal after the 15 April 1994 cut-off date, carries the word COPY below the right arm of the George Cross. The example in this group is an original striking.

I am curious if there are any Royal Canadian Navy historians who may know which, if any, Canadian ships were in Malta during the qualifying period. I know little of the recipient's service details as of yet. It is also entirely possible that he was attached or seconded to the RN. I have not had much luck tracking him down in the London Gazette...although he is an officer on his CD, he may have been commissioned after the war.

It's an interesting and attractive group! Here is a pic of the full size and miniatures as worn...note the Atlantic Star has the ribbon bar rosette in place of the "France and Germany" bar and that the Malta medal is mounted with reverse to the front on the full-size gongs...
    Attached Files

Below are the medals of the grandfather. Unremarkable in and of themselves, both being common WWI "pairs" however, they were both issued to the same man.

It appears that he enlisted in the CEF in December 1914 in the Canadian Field Artillery, having been a pre-war member of the Canadian Garrison Artillery (militia). His trade/calling on his attestation paper is given as "Marine Engineer".

It would seem that at some point in the war he was transfered to the Royal Navy Reserve, presumably so that his skills as an engineer could be put to better use.

Thus with service in two branches of service, he was "double-issued" his medals. One pair being named to him as a Corporal in the Canadian Field Artillery, and the second as a Engineering Sub-Lieutenant in the RNR. Very odd indeed! It would appear that he did not qualify for the 1914-15 Star even though he would have been sent overseas in early-mid 1915. The reasons for this I do not know presently, his service record should hopefully shed some light on his movements during the war.

I welcome any comments or information that anyone can provide!

Cheers!

Adam
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice groupings Adam. I'm glad to see the family is interested in them and that they plan on keeping them!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Haslett
        ... and that the Malta medal is mounted with reverse to the front on the full-size gongs.
        No, it's mounted correctly. Maltese medals have the arms of Malta on the obverse. It's the minature that's back-to-front.

Comment

Fantastic medals mate! Love that WW2 set!

Steve.
          Last edited by yellow; 11-08-2004, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I`ll made an educated guess in regard to those double issue WW1 gongs ..... thats assuming they are to the same fellow.

The CFA pair being awarded by the Canadian Government and the RNR pair awarded by the British Government (admiralty).

Perhaps the reason why there is no star is because he didnt enter into France in time to qualify.....drinking cups of tea in England it would appear?

Any idea what W. B. Spicer's forenames are Adam?......The problem being the London gazette loves to list all its naval officers with forenames......W. B. Spicer would bring up zero results.

Steve.

Comment

Tony,

Too right! I had looked at the MYB and they display the reverse in the photo so I jumped to conclusions! Well spotted!

Steve,

The WWI fellow is Wylie Bushman Spicer. I located his WWI CEF attestation papers and I did find one reference to him in the London Gazette...just his appointment as Sub-Lieutenant in Oct 1918. I think your theory is correct. He likely went to England in 1915, eventually got to France with the CEF in 1916/17, earning him his pair with the CFA. He then transferred to the RNR in 1918 and must have been deployed just in time to earn his "second" pair with the RNR. Obviously the medal rolls would have been separate for the CEF and RNR and he was never struck from the CEF one, thus the double issue. I am 100% certain that they are to the same man, same names and the family has verified that there was no other family member with the same initials.

The WWII fellow obviously made the Navy a career as indicated by his CD with additional clasp and the SSM which was awarded for Post-War services. Apparently he passed away just a few years ago.

Thanks for your input fellows...does anyone have any guesses as to the wartime career of the WWII fellow?

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X