Zulu!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zulu!!!!!

I realize that this item is NOT a British piece, but after becoming a fan of the Zulu campaigns (thanks in part by seeing the movies "Zulu Dawn" and "Zulu" a a kid which spurred the desire to learn more), I was shocked to find this piece hanging on the wall of one of my favorite antique shops. The shield came back with an American officer at the end of World War II.
    The shield is approximately five foot tall and is made of tanned cowhide.
    I just thought some of you might enjoy seeing it before I take it to a local militaria show tomorrow.
    Allan
    Attached Files

Usuto! Usuto!

Comment

Originally posted by Greeves
      Usuto! Usuto!
      Here's a detail of the woven strips of cowhide.
      Damn. Now I am going to have to go rent "Zulu Dawn" again.
      Attached Files

Comment

Bugger! I've always wanted one of these to mount in my (imaginary) wooden-panelled study; along with the (imaginary) Kudu head, suit of armour, targe & broadswords, Brown Bess, and the original oil of the 92nd at Balaklava. The remaining wall space could be filled with my (non-imaginary) framed badges, medals, bagpipes and other ephemera. I need a lottery win desperately.

Comment

iirc the amount of white on these shields has a meaning. I can't remember where i read it but it was something to do with the more experienced zulu units had more white on their shields so the newly formed units had pretty much all black ones.

Is that right or have i got it all wrong?
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I think the color of the shield had to do with married and unmarried regiments. The Zulu were only given the right to marry in their thirteys as an experienced soldier. Very interesting part of British history.

Comment

Zulu !!!

You guys are exactly right. Black shield is a young regiment with white marks that denote experience. Red is married or mixed. Increased white would lead to the ultimate, all white.

Doug

Comment

Cool shield. Tony-in the market (behind the Church next to Marks & Spensers') in 1974 at Xmas time no less I found an original for 5 pounds-with a knobkerrie! There were also Assagis, but they were too much cash.Zulu items used to show up in the UK regularly.

Comment

I remnemember picking up a load of weapons

..at an antiques fair about five years ago ..sold all the clubs axes etc through Bosleys ..since then the price has gone up a hell of a lot ..nice shield can we see the back ???

cheers
                  Steve

Comment

I used to walk around the Newark Antiques fair and see hundreds of Zulu spears and shields. Dont see any now.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X