HELP with ID on Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP with ID on Uniform

Hi all...looking for some help or direction to start me on the way researching this uniform. It's named to Group Captain William Arthur Thompson, OBE, RAF. He was born 1889 Studtland Bay, Dorset. He retired in 1946 after 45 years of service. I have a copy of the obituary that came with the uniform but no date on the clipping, will be happy to type and send any info in an email or PM.

I am in Iraq and would like to do as much here as I can until I am in a position to get into more detail. Thanks in advance. Close up of his ribbons is posted

Regards
    Tony
    Attached Files

'Ello 'ello 'ello! What's that ribbon tacked on to the end? Looks like a foreign award to me, but buggered if I know which one.

Confused of Melton Mowbray.

Comment

Hi Tony

I'm still researching that. The obit doesn't list anything except some info on his OBE. It's got me puzzled as well...I suppose when I have an opportunity to send off for any records I will know, but until then I am looking for the perverbial needle. So I am joining the ranks of the confused...

Comment

I thought it might be a Naval Long Service Medal based on the ribbon colors...but the distamce between the stripes looks wrong and I am not sure he met he criteria before he left the Naval Service. Any references that cover Allied ribbons only?

Comment

It's good thinking Tony - but you have to remember that those types of long service medals were not available to officers and the period of enlisted service was 18 years. I was thinking something along the lines of a foreign allied decoration (the only other commonwealth ribbon it comes close to is a Mauritius Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (first type)).

Looking at the ribbon is it "white-blue-white"? Or are there thin blue stripes on the outboard edges? In his obit. does it mention what he did during WW2? I was thinking it might be a Polish decoration if he worked with the Polish free Airforces. Here's a possibility - could it be the Polish Airforce Medal for 1939-45?

Here's a link to a great ribbon website and this medal in particular. I don't think I'm right because the ribbon doesn't look exactly right but maybe it's just the photo too:

http://www.medals.lava.pl/pl/pl2.htm
          Attached Files

Comment

Geoff...thanks so much. Yeah I forgot to think about the officer status. I thought the edges looked like thin blue stripes as well...but the eyeballs are not as good as they used to be.

The obit says at the outbreak of the war (WW2) he was appointed chief instructor of the No. 1 Wireless and Electrical School, RAF Cranwell...later he went to RAF Wantage Hall, Reading to be in charge of the entire Signal Training of the RAF (this was what the OBE was awarded for). Retired in 1946 and devoted many years to the RAFA becoming president of the Sleaford Division.

Was not able to find any info on the RAFA site or the RAF sites. Found info on the school but nothing specific about instructors from that period.

T
            Last edited by srprtrpr; 11-06-2004, 12:12 PM.

Comment

That's it! Polish Air Force Medal. It's certainly not an RN LS&GC, and the Polak gong is infinitely more feasible. I've not seen one tagged on the end before.

Comment

Got a PM the his grandson may be looking for info as well on a RAF vet type site...so I will try to find him and put our heads together. The only thing that still puzzles me is that it appears that suring the war he was an instructor at the signal school...begs the question when and for what he earned a Polish AF medal??? Might not be able to verify this until I get some documentation on his service. Any government organizations in Britain similar to the US NARA for records???

Comment

I think if he was an instructor or even running the schools it would be perfectly feasible for him to get a Polish medal of this variety (a service medal vs a campaign or gallantry award). He probably had many Polish student-pilots in his signalling courses.

Comment

Excellent point Geoff...thanks. I think I'm getting smarter by the post...thanks for the insight.

T

Originally posted by Greeves
                    I think if he was an instructor or even running the schools it would be perfectly feasible for him to get a Polish medal of this variety (a service medal vs a campaign or gallantry award). He probably had many Polish student-pilots in his signalling courses.

Comment

I was able to get in touch with the Great Grandson of GC Thompson thanks to the help of Jim Maclean...The G-Grandson offered his help along with his father and grandfather...I have their addresses as well and Andy (G-Grandson) is sending me additional pics in the mail. He also seems to think he was awarded the Czech Cross as well, will wait for some documents to verify that...interesting.
                      Thanks to all for the help and direction...
                      Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X