X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scot Guards Lieutenat Colonel swagger stick

Hello Folks,
    Have just caught this swagger on Epay.
    Maybe just a swagger that the owner used during his training days.

From the serial code inscribed on I got some informations:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...EORGE%20ALBERT

Service No: 2696023
    Date of Death: 30/01/1944
    Regiment/Service: Scots Guards 1st Bn.
    Awards: M M
    Grave Reference II, T, 1.
    Cemetery
    ANZIO WAR CEMETERY
    Additional Information:
    Son of Ethel Cashmore, of Hanley, Staffordshire.

This man died some days after beachead at Anzio, during the battle to get to Campoleone station and extend salient at north of Aprilia.

From Official chronicles:

While General Truscott on the right drove on Cisterna, VI Corps made its main effort toward Colli Laziali along the Albano road. From the British positions above Carroceto this dominating hill mass was clearly visible. General Lucas' plan called for the British 1 Division to breach the enemy's main line of resistance along the railroad by seizing the crossing at Campoleone. The 1st Armored Division was to swing wide around to the left of the Albano road to assault Colli Laziali from the west while the British continued their attack up the main road to seize the high ground on the south slope.

The plan of General Penney, commanding the 1 Division, was to pass the fresh 3 Brigade through the 24 Guards Brigade to seize Campoleone. At 2300, 29 January, the 1 Scots Guards and the 1 Irish Guards attacked to secure the crossroads 2,000 yards south of the Campoleone overpass as a line of departure for the main attack.

The 1 Scots Guards on the right struck a mined and wired-in road block south of its objective but pushed through with heavy losses. On the left of the road, however, the 1 Irish Guards were forced back at dawn by enemy tanks and self-propelled guns. To meet the threat of enemy armor the 3d Battalion, 1st Armored Regiment, was hastily withdrawn from the 1st Armored Division attack and sent to assist the British. American and British tanks and tank destroyers drove off the enemy armor, and the infantry was able to restore its forward positions. The defending 29th Panzer Grenadier Regiment was severely handled in this action.

The sharp fighting for the line of departure delayed the 3 Brigade attack until 1510, 30 January.

[/URL]

Also i found out that this man (24 years old) was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel for his merits during the Afrika Campaign.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D7348033

Reference:WO 373/2/299
    Description:
    Name Cashmore, George
    Service No: 2696023
    Regiment: 1 Battalion Scots Guards
    Theatre of Combat or Operation: North Africa (Algeria, Tunisia)
    Award: Military Medal
    Date of announcement in London Gazette: 23 September 1943
    Date: 1943-1944

Now, n. 2 questions :

1) why his record in Anzio War Cemetery does not report him as an Officer, but as only a Lance Serjeant?

2) What is Military Medal?

When this sh***y weather will gimme a rest I will go to his grave and shot a picture...
    Last edited by akille68; 02-10-2014, 07:20 AM.

Very nice swagger stick. Odd that in one record he is a NCO, and in the other a Lt. Colonel. I find it hard to believe he went from NCO to Lt Colonel within a year, so perhaps the officer record is incorrect. Certainly the MM is for other ranks and officers would get the MC, so he was an NCO/OR when the award was made in 43. Possibly a transcription error in the officer listing.

his MM listing in the gazette has him as a Lance Corporal in 43, so it must be a typo/transcription error.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...pplements/4219
    Last edited by Bond; 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bond View Post
      Very nice swagger stick. Odd that in one record he is a NCO, and in the other a Lt. Colonel. I find it hard to believe he went from NCO to Lt Colonel within a year, so perhaps the officer record is incorrect. Certainly the MM is for other ranks and officers would get the MC, so he was an NCO/OR when the award was made in 43. Possibly a transcription error in the officer listing.

his MM listing in the gazette has him as a Lance Corporal in 43, so it must be a typo/transcription error.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...pplements/4219
      Thank U Jerry. I think You are right. Just a transcription error from the papers to the digital archives. So I guess He became Lance Serjeant after MM award and He died...

Comment

Originally posted by akille68 View Post
        Thank U Jerry. I think You are right. Just a transcription error from the papers to the digital archives. So I guess He became Lance Serjeant after MM award and He died...
        That seems to be the case, still a very nice swagger stick and to have his service number is great which allowed you to find some of his history.

Jerry

Comment

The 'Lieutenant Colonel" is definitely an error, possibly for 'Lance Corporal" - "Lt. Col" vs "L Cpl" on written records. Officers in the British Army in WWII did not have service numbers. but were known by their names only. Also, the Military Medal was awarded to Other Ranks and NCOs, while officers were given the Military Cross for bravery in the field. So this is the same guy in both references, but the rank is wrong in the second one.

OTOH, Private to L Cpl or Acting/Lance Sergeant wouldn't be uncommon for a sharp young soldier. And swagger canes were carried by Other Ranks when off duty. very common in the 1880s up to WWI and still seen as late as WWII. Never seen one with a serial number before but that's vey nice, with the research potential. great find

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
            Officers in the British Army in WWII did not have service numbers. but were known by their names only.

Peter
            I hate to disagree with you Peter but officers did have service numbers in WWII, though they did not follow they same sequence as those for OR's and cannot be used to trace them to a unit in the same way that OR's numbers can.

A page from the LG showing officer promotions with their names and service numbers shown.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35690/pages/3856

Jerry

Comment

Jerry

I stand corrected. Thinking of an earlier period. [embarrassed icon here].

Comment

My researches went on.
                From the Scots Guards website

From medal recommendation:

“2696023 Lance-Corporal George CASHMORE, 1st Bn SCOTS GUARDS
                24th Guards Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Corps

On Apr. 23 during the attack on Pt. 156 L/Cpl CASHMORE was the first man to reach the objective.

On reaching the German position - a distance ahead of his platoon, he assaulted, single-handed, an enemy post.

By his determined attitude he forced the post which consisted of 14 Germans to surrender.

Throughout the period of fighting - Apr. 23 - May 6 - this N.C.O. set a conspicuous example of courage, and his leadership was an inspiration to his platoon.

MM”

During the process of the recommendation the honour was changed from Mention in Despatches to DCM and then to MM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                X