How do you display your BDs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you display your BDs ?

We usually see german stuff displayed on this forum but not too many commonwealth collections. I was wondering how you guys display BDs since they are shorter than tunics and usually the bottom of the form or mannequin stick out, and in too many cases they don't even fit modern mannequins or forms.

If I display them without equipment etc. I use a buste.

Comment

I don't display them at all there is no space for it. Need a bigger house first!

Luc

Comment

Hi Guys, sadly, I have the same problem as Luc, no space. So mine hang on a rail, but as least they show off the flashes well.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I just cut the backs out of my BDs and throw away most of the other bits...the khaki makes a great material to display medals and badges on!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
            Hi Guys, sadly, I have the same problem as Luc, no space. So mine hang on a rail, but as least they show off the flashes well.

Cheers, Ade.
            Ade, aren't you worried that sunlight will deteriorate the colours? I keep mine in plastic storage bags with plenty of moth balls.

Luc

Comment

Hi Luc, there is no dayight on them

Plastic bags are NOT good! They release harmful vapours and do not breath and if you are not cafeful they can cause mold to develop due to condensation. Personally I hate the smell of moth balls. I use either a moth repellant or lavender.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Adam, well I hope you were joking!

To be honest when I first started collecting, I used to buy 1937 pattern mint unissued BD's for £2.50 and sell them on. I thought I was making a killing at selling them for £4.50.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Plastic bags are NOT good!
                  Cheers, Ade.
                  Hi Ade,
                  Sorry I wasn't very clear here (damn English!), I meant to say plastic bags, especially made for storing clothes. They mainly keep away dust and sunlight, and they do breathe! I keep them in a room with little chance of condensation or any other nasty phenomenon.

Luc

Comment

Hi Luc, I know the type you mean. Your English beats my Dutch But these are not good for long term storage due to the chemical composition of the plastic. There was once a thread about these on the forum several years ago and the concensus was that they are ok to use, but do not keep the uniforms in them for years.

Cheers, Ade

Comment

hiya ,
                      as i work in the plastic production industry , i can vouch for what ADE is saying ,
                      trust me , when poly bags are made, a large portion of the original mix contains a hell of a lot of recycled material containing oils , chemicals etc ,
                      if you ever saw what polythene was made of you would never put your bacon butties in a plastic bag again !!!
                      lavendor works well for moths, also i was told this by a very well established collector of antique teddy bears
                      " bag `erm up well , and put them in the deep freezer for a few days to kill any thing on them "
                      well ....he appeared to know what he was on about !!!
                      regards ,Michael.
                      Hi Luc, I know the type you mean. Your English beats my Dutch But these are not good for long term storage due to the chemical composition of the plastic. There was once a thread about these on the forum several years ago and the concensus was that they are ok to use, but do not keep the uniforms in them for years.

Cheers, Ade
                      Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 11-10-2004, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                        " bag `erm up them up well , and put them in the deep freezer for a few days to kill any thing on them "
                        well ....he appeared to know what he was on about !!!
                        regards ,Michael.
                        That sounds a bit alarming Michael, what sort of plastic do you recommend? Or should I use cotton instead?
                        Interesting story about them teddybears; what do you do after you take them out of the freezer? Cook them in the oven to defrost ?
                        Cheers, Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald
                          That sounds a bit alarming Michael, what sort of plastic do you recommend? Or should I use cotton instead?
                          Interesting story about them teddybears; what do you do after you take them out of the freezer? Cook them in the oven to defrost ?
                          Cheers, Luc
                          You should use raw cotton bags or muslim to cover uniforms. If you want to store them in boxes then you should use acid free boxes. The boxes are difficult to find but you can order them on line, or get them in stores that sell wedding dresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy B
                            You should use raw cotton bags or muslim to cover uniforms.
                            This sounds like a very practical solution, I think I'll have my plastic ones copied from raw cotton then!
                            Thanks for the advice
                            Luc

Comment

This is how I like to display mine.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X